Wil Zirkle

Default Padauk-To Beal or not to Beal

I am typing this with hands purple with padauk dust. I and getting
ready to turn the foot off my first piece of padauk. I searched the
archives about finishing it and didn’t see anything about using the
beal buffing system with it. I usually use just the beal, sometime
with coats of mineral oil first to enhance the grain, sometimes just
mineral oil, and a few times I have used salad bowl finish.
The point of my post is that I was just going to leave the wood
unfinished as it got a nice satin look from sanding, but should I put
something on it? I’m not asking about UV protection just in general:
fingerprints, dust...

Thanks,

Wil

Wil Zirkle

Here is a picture of the bowl just sanded. It was taken with a camera
phone and is not that good.
http://www.mudmonkeys.com/WilsPicts/Padauk.jpg

Wil
AHilton

If it has the look you're going for already, Wil, just leave it alone. If
anything, you'll attract more fingerprints and dust to it by Buffing it.
The wax being an attractant to those kinds of things, you know. You only
get marginal protection (scuffs, smoke, oily skin from touching, moisture,
etc.) of the wood from just buffing so there's no major reason there for
buffing it. The buffing is really only good for looks and marginal
protection. That's why I don't just buff. If I'm going to buff, then I'm
going to buff a finish and not just bare wood.

- Andrew

"Wil Zirkle" wrote in message
I am typing this with hands purple with padauk dust. I and getting
ready to turn the foot off my first piece of padauk. I searched the
archives about finishing it and didn't see anything about using the
beal buffing system with it. I usually use just the beal, sometime
with coats of mineral oil first to enhance the grain, sometimes just
mineral oil, and a few times I have used salad bowl finish.
The point of my post is that I was just going to leave the wood
unfinished as it got a nice satin look from sanding, but should I put
something on it? I'm not asking about UV protection just in general:
fingerprints, dust...

Thanks,

Wil

Rusty Myers

I've not had good luck buffing Padauk. It doesn't add much to the final
look, and if you use the white diamond compound it gets stuck in the pores
of the wood. The wax adds some shine though.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX