Jim Gott

I want to use a double end mandrel so I can put a buffer on each end of the
mandrel and mandrel shaft will run off the motor with a pulley. One adaptor
came with the system(right hand thread)but nothing for the left side with
left hand thread. The adaptor reduces the 5/8 shaft to 1/2 inc shaft so the
buffers can be attached. Anyone know what I can do about the left side of
the double end mandrel

--
Harry
BRBR

Harry,
It's better to use the Beall system on a lathe rather than on a 3500 rpm motor.
On the lathe you can vary the speed and slow down the wheels. An 8" wheel
spinning at 3500 (or even 1750) is fast enough to strip the finish right off a
bowl. I normally use an 8" wheel at 1200 rpm or slower. It makes the wheel
softer because it spreads out more when it comes in contact with the wood. It
also reduces the heat from friction. A 3500 rpm motor will make the wheel very
hard due to the excessive centrifugal force. If you want to have multiple
wheels mounted, I suggest the 3-on-a-shaft option that Beall has that goes on
the lathe. I have the morse taper setup with a drawbar through the headstock
and I like it a lot. I also have both the 8" and the 4" wheels.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA