George

However, if you get a mandrel and appropriate pulley configuration or
variable motor, you can buff at your speed and 1/2HP without fiddling with
the lathe.

Or - realizing that it's radial speed that counts, you can use smaller
buffing wheels. My 1725 with 4" buffs is slower than your 1200 x 8" setup.

Oh yes, some washing machine motors will do 1050. Gotta put them under
cover, or they plug up with fuzz and wax, though.

"Jim Gott" wrote in message

It's better to use the Beall system on a lathe rather than on a 3500 rpm

motor.
On the lathe you can vary the speed and slow down the wheels. An 8" wheel
spinning at 3500 (or even 1750) is fast enough to strip the finish right

off a
bowl. I normally use an 8" wheel at 1200 rpm or slower. It makes the wheel
softer because it spreads out more when it comes in contact with the wood.

It
also reduces the heat from friction. A 3500 rpm motor will make the wheel

very
hard due to the excessive centrifugal force. If you want to have multiple
wheels mounted, I suggest the 3-on-a-shaft option that Beall has that goes

on
the lathe. I have the morse taper setup with a drawbar through the

headstock
and I like it a lot. I also have both the 8" and the 4" wheels.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA