Bill Rubenstein

Default Stubbys are back

If I could I'd like to make a little commercial announcement...

Our preliminary web site is up and we are ready to go. If you are in the market for a really
great lathe please visit us: http://www.stubbylatheusa.com.

Bill
Earl

I've only been turning for 8 or 9 months so I'm no expert. But I had
the chance to take a class from Christian Burchard in Ashland, OR and
we used Stubby lathes. I've been lusting for one ever since. It's like
a Rolls Royce after using my Delta. Unfortunately, they are way out of
my class for a retired, purely recreational turner. But if I ever
inherit a few bucks, I'll be contacting you!

Earl
Bill Rubenstein

Thanks for your note. The few that have been resold have sold for nearly their new value.
So, since interest rates are really low and that money in the bank isn't really buying you
anything, maybe you can figure that having the machine would just be a loan to you -- one
which would keep you happy. And, if that logic doesn't fly in your house...

Bill

In article , says...
I've only been turning for 8 or 9 months so I'm no expert. But I had
the chance to take a class from Christian Burchard in Ashland, OR and
we used Stubby lathes. I've been lusting for one ever since. It's like
a Rolls Royce after using my Delta. Unfortunately, they are way out of
my class for a retired, purely recreational turner. But if I ever
inherit a few bucks, I'll be contacting you!

Earl

billh

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
I've only been turning for 8 or 9 months so I'm no expert. But I had
the chance to take a class from Christian Burchard in Ashland, OR and
we used Stubby lathes. I've been lusting for one ever since. It's like
a Rolls Royce after using my Delta. Unfortunately, they are way out of
my class for a retired, purely recreational turner. But if I ever
inherit a few bucks, I'll be contacting you!

Earl

Of course only you know what your budget will tolerate but if it's just a
matter of thinking it's too expensive for a recreational turner consider
what some people spend for motorcycles, snowmobiles, golf club membership
fees, etc. The lathe will have, as mentioned, considerable resale value and
it's annual operating cost is very low compared to the above. I am
conveniently neglecting buying tools and gizmos!
Billh

Leo Lichtman

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote: (clip) So, since interest rates are really low
and that money in the bank isn't really buying you anything, maybe you can
figure that having the machine would just be a loan to you -- one which
would keep you happy. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The money you save while you are standing at the lathe for hours, instead of
driving to the store buying things you don't need, is INTEREST, and it's tax
free.

Arch

Leo, I've saved myself into bankruptcy before, but I made it up by
excesive spending. For aye, Arch

Fortiter,

Barry N. Turner

A Stubby is a lot less than what a good bass boat, motor and trailer costs.
Not to mention a nice $30,000 truck to pull it with. If you have a bad day
on the water, you have to go buy a bunch of smelly fish from the fish market
and lie about it to save face. With at least $50,000 tied up in equipment,
how are you ever gonna tell your sweetie you didn't catch a damn thing?

Instead of your wife worrying about your being out on some godforsaken lake
in all kinds of weather, with a Stubby, you're right out in your own garage
or basement all day long. Talk about peace of mind! And, don't forget the
investment angle. And no lying!

Barry

PS I sent in my deposit for a Stubby just this week.

"billh" wrote in message
. ..

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Leo Lichtman

"Barry N. Turner" wrote: (clip) Instead of your wife worrying about your
being out on some godforsaken lake in all kinds of weather, with a Stubby,
you're right out in your own garage or basement all day long. Talk about
peace of mind! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Think about all those weird problem marriages that have been aired on the
Dr. Phil Show. Not one Stubby owner. That has to mean something!

william_b_noble

the stubby does have an advantage of requiring fewer add on gizmos than
many, it has a built in vacuum port, it can turn as big as you want inboard,
so no need for outboard accessories, etc. Also, with a new distributor, it
may be possible to purchase the lathe without the motor and electronics and
supply that yourself if you are able - I don't know what the savings would
be, but there would be some kind of reduction in your out of pocket cost.

but, the really big savings is that you won't lust after another lathe, so
you will save the cost of each of the intermediate lathes you buy and then
resell.

billn
"billh" wrote in message
. ..

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Barry N. Turner

Snip but, the really big savings is that you won't lust after another
lathe

But isn't that part of the fun? I had a terrible craving for a Browning 22
Rifle, the little take-down model that looks like a toy. When I was about
16, it was an astounding $69.50! No way I could afford it. Bought a
Remington for $39.95. About 30 years later, I finally got the little
Browning.........I was almost 50 years old..........had to pay about $300
for it. (It now sells for almost $500) I have to say it just isn't as
great as I thought it would be.

Same way with my Rolex Submariner. Wanted one of those for 30+ years.
Badly. Watched James Bond movies just to catch a glimpse of James' Rolex.
My wife finally bought me one for my 51st birthday!

Barry

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
the stubby does have an advantage of requiring fewer add on gizmos than
many, it has a built in vacuum port, it can turn as big as you want

inboard,
so no need for outboard accessories, etc. Also, with a new distributor,

it
may be possible to purchase the lathe without the motor and electronics

and
supply that yourself if you are able - I don't know what the savings would
be, but there would be some kind of reduction in your out of pocket cost.

but, the really big savings is that you won't lust after another lathe, so
you will save the cost of each of the intermediate lathes you buy and then
resell.

billn
"billh" wrote in message
. ..

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Earl

So maybe I'll just print out this whole thread and conviently leave it
on the table for my wife to read... Now if we just hadn't bought a
newer 5th wheel this summer!

Earl
mikes News

Now wait just a Goldarned minute! godforsaken lake? I gatta tell you,
some of my best times with the Lord have been while sitting out on a lake,
river, or ocean talking to him... Besides... some of his favorite helpers
were fisherman.

Sometimes I can even get my wife to tag along... if the crappy or bass are
biting... She likes to go out in my bass boat.

I can hardly even get her to walk through my shop...

Hmmm maybe I need a Stubby? Naaah I don't think she would be anymore
impressed with it than she is my other tools....

Big Mike

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Barry N. Turner" wrote: (clip) Instead of your wife worrying about your
being out on some godforsaken lake in all kinds of weather, with a Stubby,
you're right out in your own garage or basement all day long. Talk about
peace of mind! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Think about all those weird problem marriages that have been aired on the
Dr. Phil Show. Not one Stubby owner. That has to mean something!

Leo Lichtman

"mikes News" wrote: (clip) Naaah I don't think she would be anymore
impressed with it than she is my other tools....

Big Mike

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well. Maybe you're not really "Big" Mike.

Barry N. Turner

Oops! Poor choice of words on my part. No offense intended. Certainly God
has not forsaken any of our lakes, streams or forests. Just look at the
beauty of wood.
You're right about the dishing connection. Jesus did seem to have a soft
spot for fishermen and water. Don't forget, his dad was a carpenter, too!

Have fun turning and fishing!

Barry

"mikes News" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

$5,175 + S&H! For $825 more I got a 5 function
(10 TS -with riving knife, shaper that'll handle 7" diam.
1 1/4" bore shaper head, 12" 3 knives jointer. 12" planer,
a horizontal boring/mortising head - with XYZ table AND a
sliding table for the saw/shaper) 1100 lb combination
machine with 3 TEFC German motors. Made in Belgium
rather than Austria, it ain't pretty but it does all
the basic jobs and then some pretty well.

But I guess it's a Whatever Floats Your Boat thing.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Charlie:

I guess that I must respond since I'm the importer of the Stubby lathes
(www.stubbylatheusa.com).

I'm not sure if you believe that the Stubby comes from Austria or not,
but it doesn't. It comes from Australia.

Anyway, the combination machine you refer to could be a very nice
machine. But, you can't turn a 30" bowl or hollow form on it. In fact,
you can't turn anything on it.

The Stubby is expensive to build, expensive to import, and a major
factor is that the US dollar is so poorly thought of on the
international market. I know what my costs are and am doing everything
to keep them down and to keep the selling price down.

Build costs keep rising, though, and I've just returned from a trip to
Australia where we sat down for several days and determined what we
could do to keep selling prices stable.

Let me give you an example of the kind of 'stuff' you run into in this
business. The only way to get the machines here undamaged is to ship
them in pretty substantial wooden crates. For years the crates were
built out of low-value, air-dried lumber. Mid '05, the US government
decided that the crates had to be built out of kiln-dried lumber so as
to kill any bugs. That raised the price of the crates.

This is a little retirement business for me and if I hadn't been
successful in my earlier years, I couldn't afford to run this business
-- my accountant thinks I'm crazy to be doing this. Maybe he is right.

Anyway, if you have never turned on a Stubby and you'd like to see what
it feels like, let me know and we can probably find someone close to you
who has one. It may cost you $5175.00 + shipping (no handling), though.

And, have you priced the Oneway offerings lately? If you do, be sure to
add the stuff you need for big bowls and such.

Bill
Stubby Lathe USA, Inc.

charlie b wrote:
$5,175 + S&H! For $825 more I got a 5 function
(10 TS -with riving knife, shaper that'll handle 7" diam.
1 1/4" bore shaper head, 12" 3 knives jointer. 12" planer,
a horizontal boring/mortising head - with XYZ table AND a
sliding table for the saw/shaper) 1100 lb combination
machine with 3 TEFC German motors. Made in Belgium
rather than Austria, it ain't pretty but it does all
the basic jobs and then some pretty well.

But I guess it's a Whatever Floats Your Boat thing.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

let me second Bill R's comments - I have a Stubby lathe, paid about 6
grand for it a few years ago (it's a 1000, so it's larger than what
Bill R mostly sells), and it cost me more than my Logan metal lathe
and my Sweedish 3,000 pound toolmaker's mill combined. but, I can't
turn 44 inches between centers on the Logan lathe, nor on the Abene
mill (though I suppose I could use those two tools to make a
replacement for the Stubby if I would work for 5 cents per hour and
had a huge pile of scrap metal to start with.

If you have lots of space and lots of time, a huge old metal lathe can
usually be had for less than scrap value - but you need the space for
a huge machine, and the Stubby is very space efficient, in fact that's
a key reason why I bought it - it also happens to work very well, the
other key reason I bought it.

I also agree that if we don't get our financial house in order, the
dollar will continue to slide until we can't even afford to buy cheap
chinese lathes from Harbor Freight.

charlie b wrote:
$5,175 + S&H! For $825 more I got a 5 function
(10 TS -with riving knife, shaper that'll handle 7" diam.
1 1/4" bore shaper head, 12" 3 knives jointer. 12" planer,
a horizontal boring/mortising head - with XYZ table AND a
sliding table for the saw/shaper) 1100 lb combination
machine with 3 TEFC German motors. Made in Belgium
rather than Austria, it ain't pretty but it does all
the basic jobs and then some pretty well.

But I guess it's a Whatever Floats Your Boat thing.

charlie b

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Anyway, the combination machine you refer to could be a very nice
machine. But, you can't turn a 30" bowl or hollow form on it. In fact,
you can't turn anything on it.

Oh yeah? What about mounting the wood to a faceplate and then screwing
that onto the spindle shaper. Kinda like the Verti-lathe (may George
Devine rest in peace) only bigger.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

I trust that you are joking? Also, I hope that you have a variable
speed drive on that shaper spindle. Even if you did, though, I suspect
that the pulley ratios are such that the low rpm with torque which we
need for big work wouldn't be available.

Bill

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article ,
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Anyway, the combination machine you refer to could be a very nice
machine. But, you can't turn a 30" bowl or hollow form on it. In fact,
you can't turn anything on it.

Oh yeah? What about mounting the wood to a faceplate and then screwing
that onto the spindle shaper. Kinda like the Verti-lathe (may George
Devine rest in peace) only bigger.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I trust that you are joking?

Yes, yes I was joking.

BTW, on a similar note of attaching turnings to non-standard lathes:

I had heard of folks using their car or truck drivelines to power a
turning - attach the turning in some way to the wheel axle and then use
the engine and transmission to obtain the rpms you need.

Tho I've never turned a pen or pencil, I've tried most other turning
techniques and projects. Thought I'd give the "Cheby-lathe" a try, so
got a big chunk of Big Leaf Maple all mounted up to a homemade drum
brake and bolted onto the lugs. All my tools close at hand. Had my wife
in our Citation's driver's seat.

Instructed her to put 'er in "D" and gently press the gas - which she
did just as I asked. I got some shavings coming off but had a hell of a
time keeping up with her as she made her way down the street.

Actually... due to the direction of the rotating wood, I was in front of
the turning next to side of the car. It quickly became apparent that I
would need to run backwards while holding the gouge to wood. I tell you
it got pretty exciting just making sure I was not run over let alone
getting a good curly shaving - was one hell of a work out tho so my
cardiologist would be pleased.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Owen Lowe wrote:

In article ,
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

[...]

LOL (do I *really* have to 'splain that one?)

And for a finish? Friction Polish?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Stubbys are back (they never left, quality never does)

Owen, I used Lori's car with front wheel drive to make a standard VS
lathe with a rotating headstock. I'm gonna put it on a car lift tomorrow
and turn some big platters. Do you think Bill and his Stubbys hear our
footsteps or wheels screeching? Naw!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
I had heard of folks using their car or truck drivelines to power a
turning - attach the turning in some way to the wheel axle and then use
the engine and transmission to obtain the rpms you need.

Yep, Art Charpentier, I believe, made some monster turnings with his Jeep
axle.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Lobby, why insult Owen? In My Humble Opinion, it's not a LOL. 'Lousy
Old Lathe'.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Arch:

I'll go back to serious for a moment...

I knew a turner, a Mennonite in a conservative community in the north of
Belize. They do not use electricity. So, he had rigged up a vw beetle
engine and transmission to turn his lathe. It was a bit noisy, though.
Also, I don't exactly understand why engines are ok and electricity is
bad.

This group also would not drive cars with rubber tires. In their saw
mill, though, they had fitted steel wheels, no rubber, to their log
movers which made it ok. The saws were electrically driven but they
generated the electricity themselves with a huge Cat generator.

Bill

Arch wrote:
Owen, I used Lori's car with front wheel drive to make a standard VS
lathe with a rotating headstock. I'm gonna put it on a car lift tomorrow
and turn some big platters. Do you think Bill and his Stubbys hear our
footsteps or wheels screeching? Naw!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

I think it has something to do with eschewing dependency on the outside
world. Electricity comes from a power plant..........gasoline power is
generated on site. I don't have a clue why a gasoline generator couldn't be
used, or why gasoline power is okay even though gasoline comes from big oil
companies.

Barry

. com...