Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Default Stubbys are back (they never left, quality never does)

Arch:

I'll go back to serious for a moment...

I knew a turner, a Mennonite in a conservative community in the north of
Belize. They do not use electricity. So, he had rigged up a vw beetle
engine and transmission to turn his lathe. It was a bit noisy, though.
Also, I don't exactly understand why engines are ok and electricity is
bad.

This group also would not drive cars with rubber tires. In their saw
mill, though, they had fitted steel wheels, no rubber, to their log
movers which made it ok. The saws were electrically driven but they
generated the electricity themselves with a huge Cat generator.

Bill

Arch wrote:
Owen, I used Lori's car with front wheel drive to make a standard VS
lathe with a rotating headstock. I'm gonna put it on a car lift tomorrow
and turn some big platters. Do you think Bill and his Stubbys hear our
footsteps or wheels screeching? Naw!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter