Andrew Morrison

Default Super Nova chuck key pin

Hi, I broke the pin in my new super nova chuck key so my retailer had it
exchanged for me.

I didn't have the replacement very long before the same thing happened
again, this time I just replaced the pin with a nail of the same diameter.

The replacement nails broke a few times as well & by this time I was
becoming mightily ****ed off when I had the idea to replace the nail with a
toughened concrete nail. I have now been using a concrete nail for about 6
mths & it is still holding.

If you have been having this problem then try my concrete nail fix & I'm
sure it'll work for you.

Cheers

Andy.

Ken Moon

"Andrew Morrison" wrote in message
Hi, I broke the pin in my new super nova chuck key so my retailer had it
exchanged for me.

I didn't have the replacement very long before the same thing happened
again, this time I just replaced the pin with a nail of the same diameter.

The replacement nails broke a few times as well & by this time I was
becoming mightily ****ed off when I had the idea to replace the nail with

toughened concrete nail. I have now been using a concrete nail for about 6
mths & it is still holding.

If you have been having this problem then try my concrete nail fix & I'm
sure it'll work for you.

============================
Another fix is, if you have an old set of dull drills, just cut and use one
of those. HSS would be best, but carbon steel shoould do fine.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

william_b_noble

is it possible that you are tightening the chuck too tight? I have a super
nova, and while I wore out the hole the key goes into (in the center), I
never broke a pin - I have a vicmark chuck I use most of the time now, I
much prefer the allen wrench for tightening to that stupid key
"Andrew Morrison" wrote in message
Hi, I broke the pin in my new super nova chuck key so my retailer had it
exchanged for me.

I didn't have the replacement very long before the same thing happened
again, this time I just replaced the pin with a nail of the same diameter.

The replacement nails broke a few times as well & by this time I was
becoming mightily ****ed off when I had the idea to replace the nail with

toughened concrete nail. I have now been using a concrete nail for about 6
mths & it is still holding.

If you have been having this problem then try my concrete nail fix & I'm
sure it'll work for you.

Cheers

Andy.

charles jones

I think that you may well be overtightening the chuck. I have never heard of
anyone in the UK having this problem. Personally, I have had one of these
chucks for two years now and find it holds very well without exerting
excessive torque to the key. If you make sure that when you cut your
mounting dovetail, the whole of the circumference is in contact and not just
the corners of the jaws, then much less pressure is needed between jaw and
wood. A bonus is that there won't be any jaw indents in the wood either!
Charlie (Oxford Woodturners club)
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Andrew Morrison" wrote in

message
[...]

Alun Saunders

Andrew Morrison wrote:

Hi, I broke the pin in my new super nova chuck key so my retailer had
it exchanged for me.

I didn't have the replacement very long before the same thing
happened again, this time I just replaced the pin with a nail of the
same diameter.

The replacement nails broke a few times as well & by this time I was
becoming mightily ****ed off when I had the idea to replace the nail
with a toughened concrete nail. I have now been using a concrete nail
for about 6 mths & it is still holding.

If you have been having this problem then try my concrete nail fix &
I'm sure it'll work for you.

I've not had this particular problem, but in my case the pin is a little
loose and one end of it regularly comes out of the hole on the key body.
On a few occasions it's come close to falling out.

How did you fix your concrete nail in place? Just bend the ends over a
bit, or something else more "cunning"

--
Alun Saunders

Andrew Morrison

"Alun Saunders" wrote in message
Andrew Morrison wrote:

[...]

Just bent the end over Alun, then cut off the excess.

Andy.

Barry N. Turner

I think you may be right. I have seen turners crank down on chuck keys like
they were tightening the lug nuts on wheels for a diesel truck. I don't.
I just snug it down tight. I seldom lose a piece. I don't think its
necessary to use so much force.

Barry

"charles jones" wrote in message
I think that you may well be overtightening the chuck. I have never heard

of
anyone in the UK having this problem. Personally, I have had one of these
chucks for two years now and find it holds very well without exerting
excessive torque to the key. If you make sure that when you cut your
mounting dovetail, the whole of the circumference is in contact and not

just
the corners of the jaws, then much less pressure is needed between jaw and
wood. A bonus is that there won't be any jaw indents in the wood either!
Charlie (Oxford Woodturners club)
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Andrew Morrison" wrote in

message
[...]

Hamp

Actually these pins are designed to break if too much force is
applied. Better the pin than the teeth on the key. I don't have the
chuck you mention but I'm sure you can find a replacement "rolled pin"
at most local hardware centers or auto parts stores.
Andrew Morrison wrote:

[...]

Derek Andrews

Barry N. Turner wrote:

I think you may be right. I have seen turners crank down on chuck keys like
they were tightening the lug nuts on wheels for a diesel truck. I don't.
I just snug it down tight. I seldom lose a piece. I don't think its
necessary to use so much force.

One thing I have found that really helps is to keep the chuck clean and
lubricated. Whenever I find that the key feels sticky, I use the shop
vac to blow all the dust out of every orifice I can find (on the chuck
that is) and then use some graphite lubricant on all moving parts. This
makes a big difference in how easily the chuck works, and gives one a
much better feel for how tight the jaws are gripping.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning