Dave

Default Nova 5" Chuck

I am thinking about buying the new Nova 5" chuck. Has anyone used one
and how does it perform?

My current Nova chuck doesn't tread all of the way on to my
Powermatic 3520 spindle, it bottoms out when the spindle contacts the
chuck body but there is still about 1/8" before the chuck insert
contacts the spindle shoulder. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave
Lyn J. Mangiameli

I have one of these new chucks and my experiece is it is one of the best
chucks produced. The back is closed, unlike their earlier full size
chucks. The key set up is excellent and uses a good sized T handle ball
end hex key that is as positive as the VicMark but has the added
advantage of operation at an angle to the body (of course one can do
much the same on the VicMark by finding and substituting a ball end
key). I have found it to be consistently very smooth in operation
(though I have heard one report of some binding one persons). It has
longer jaw travel than its predecessors. My version is the final
configuration, now called the Titan, which includes three screw jaw
slides (initially it came out with only 2 screw slides like the Nova and
SuperNova). The 3 hole slides will take an upcoming range of very large
jaws, as well as take all the existing one and two screw Nova/SuperNova
jaw sets. I've been holding off with a formal review until I've tried it
with some of the new jaws, but I can say that the one I have is
definitely a great chuck.

Lyn

Dave wrote:
I am thinking about buying the new Nova 5" chuck. Has anyone used one
and how does it perform?

My current Nova chuck doesn't tread all of the way on to my
Powermatic 3520 spindle, it bottoms out when the spindle contacts the
chuck body but there is still about 1/8" before the chuck insert
contacts the spindle shoulder. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave

Fred Holder

Hello Dave,

Lyn did a good job of describing the new 5" Nova. I purchased one while I was
in New Zealand in March and April of this year. It is one powerful chuck with
tremendous holding power. Mine is the earlier version with only two holes to
take all of the current Nova chuck jaws. I expect to get a new set of jaw slides
to upgrade my chuck to the three screw version of the Titan that Lyn has.

On your second question, I'm not familiar with the Powermatic 3520 spindle, but
is sounds like it is longer than normal. The rear of the Chuck insert should
mate with the machined shoulder at the rear of the spindle to ensure that it
runs true. A work around that I've used many times is either machined washers or
home made washers out of a good hard wood like Holly. I turn the wood round in
the spindle mode and drill a 1-1/4" hole through the wood. Then I carefully face
off the end of the wood and carefully part off a washer about 3/16 to 1/4 inch
thick, making sure that the parting tool is sharp and goes in straight. Slip
this washer onto the spindle, then screw on the chuck. Tighten the chuck and
check to make sure it runs true.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Dave says...

I am thinking about buying the new Nova 5" chuck. Has anyone used one
and how does it perform?

My current Nova chuck doesn't tread all of the way on to my
Powermatic 3520 spindle, it bottoms out when the spindle contacts the
chuck body but there is still about 1/8" before the chuck insert
contacts the spindle shoulder. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave

Bruce Ferguson

Fred's idea is a good one. You can use the same idea for a screw chuck if
it is too long. I have several that I can stack of on the screw to shorten
it as much as I want.

Bruce