Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Nova 5" Chuck

I have one of these new chucks and my experiece is it is one of the best
chucks produced. The back is closed, unlike their earlier full size
chucks. The key set up is excellent and uses a good sized T handle ball
end hex key that is as positive as the VicMark but has the added
advantage of operation at an angle to the body (of course one can do
much the same on the VicMark by finding and substituting a ball end
key). I have found it to be consistently very smooth in operation
(though I have heard one report of some binding one persons). It has
longer jaw travel than its predecessors. My version is the final
configuration, now called the Titan, which includes three screw jaw
slides (initially it came out with only 2 screw slides like the Nova and
SuperNova). The 3 hole slides will take an upcoming range of very large
jaws, as well as take all the existing one and two screw Nova/SuperNova
jaw sets. I've been holding off with a formal review until I've tried it
with some of the new jaws, but I can say that the one I have is
definitely a great chuck.

Lyn

Dave wrote:
I am thinking about buying the new Nova 5" chuck. Has anyone used one
and how does it perform?

My current Nova chuck doesn't tread all of the way on to my
Powermatic 3520 spindle, it bottoms out when the spindle contacts the
chuck body but there is still about 1/8" before the chuck insert
contacts the spindle shoulder. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave