Derek Andrews

Barry N. Turner wrote:

I think you may be right. I have seen turners crank down on chuck keys like
they were tightening the lug nuts on wheels for a diesel truck. I don't.
I just snug it down tight. I seldom lose a piece. I don't think its
necessary to use so much force.

One thing I have found that really helps is to keep the chuck clean and
lubricated. Whenever I find that the key feels sticky, I use the shop
vac to blow all the dust out of every orifice I can find (on the chuck
that is) and then use some graphite lubricant on all moving parts. This
makes a big difference in how easily the chuck works, and gives one a
much better feel for how tight the jaws are gripping.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning