moyo

Default green Holly

Turned a really pretty "object" the other day out of fresh cut Nellie
Steven's holly. The object was a cross between a bowl with high sides
and a goblet without a handle...pretty much a "whachamacallit". Now,
being an accomplished whachamacallit turner, I'd like to ask another
turner what they would do to the wood prior to turning to insure
against cracking. I told my SWMBO that the object was going to crack
and it did.

moyo
F Donald Hart

Hi moyo,
I usually turn my "green" pieces 1" thickness for each 10" diameter,
then put them in a brown bag for six months to a year. Then I re-chuck and
turn them true and to the thickness that I want. Anything that I only turn
once, I turn it as thin as possible, and let it warp while it also drys in a
brown bag for six months to a year. There should be a lot of info in the
Archices on this subject, but I don't know how to reach it. Someone will
probably tell us.
Don Hart

"moyo" wrote in message
news
Turned a really pretty "object" the other day out of fresh cut Nellie
Steven's holly. The object was a cross between a bowl with high sides
and a goblet without a handle...pretty much a "whachamacallit". Now,
being an accomplished whachamacallit turner, I'd like to ask another
turner what they would do to the wood prior to turning to insure
against cracking. I told my SWMBO that the object was going to crack
and it did.

moyo

James Barley

This should get you there.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ts.woodturning

James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley

"F Donald Hart" wrote in message

Hi moyo,
I usually turn my "green" pieces 1" thickness for each 10" diameter,
then put them in a brown bag for six months to a year. Then I re-chuck and
turn them true and to the thickness that I want. Anything that I only

turn
once, I turn it as thin as possible, and let it warp while it also drys in

brown bag for six months to a year. There should be a lot of info in the
Archices on this subject, but I don't know how to reach it. Someone will
probably tell us.
Don Hart

"moyo" wrote in message
news
Turned a really pretty "object" the other day out of fresh cut Nellie
Steven's holly. The object was a cross between a bowl with high sides
and a goblet without a handle...pretty much a "whachamacallit". Now,
being an accomplished whachamacallit turner, I'd like to ask another
turner what they would do to the wood prior to turning to insure
against cracking. I told my SWMBO that the object was going to crack
and it did.

moyo

John McGaw

"moyo" wrote in message
news
Turned a really pretty "object" the other day out of fresh cut Nellie
Steven's holly. The object was a cross between a bowl with high sides
and a goblet without a handle...pretty much a "whachamacallit". Now,
being an accomplished whachamacallit turner, I'd like to ask another
turner what they would do to the wood prior to turning to insure
against cracking. I told my SWMBO that the object was going to crack
and it did.

moyo

Slow controlled drying is one answer. As is staged turning -- rough out, dry
slowly, finish turn. But in my experience neither is a good idea with holly
since it is so prone to fungus staining which kills that pretty paper white
effect. A PEG treatment might be one solution but I've never had a chance to
try it with this particular wood.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Tony Manella

Moyo,
I got some holly a few months back. I've found that to keep that pure white
color you need to turn to finished shape while green. To keep it from
cracking you will need to turn it thin. Of course it will warp then, but I
haven't found any other way to keep the beautiful white color. I tried
putting the fresh cut wood right into our freezer and it still got the blue
stain within a month. For a finish I prefer Krylon Matte Finish which I
then buff with the Beal system.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"moyo" wrote in message
news
Turned a really pretty "object" the other day out of fresh cut Nellie
Steven's holly. The object was a cross between a bowl with high sides
and a goblet without a handle...pretty much a "whachamacallit". Now,
being an accomplished whachamacallit turner, I'd like to ask another
turner what they would do to the wood prior to turning to insure
against cracking. I told my SWMBO that the object was going to crack
and it did.

moyo

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Tony Manella" ndd1atprolog.net wrote:

but I
haven't found any other way to keep the beautiful white color. I tried
putting the fresh cut wood right into our freezer and it still got the blue
stain within a month.

Hi Tony. Sorry for the delayed response, but I was hoping the brain
cells would make a good connection to allow me to remember where I read,
over-heard, saw the following: (I was elected chapter librarian for the
coming year and this week have been skimming through just about every
book, magazine, newspaper and video as I catalog the library.)

Someone sprays lemon juice on turnings to keep the staining at bay - I
don't recall if they were referring to holly or not, but it may be worth
a try.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Tony Manella

Thanks Owen, I'll try that on the next piece.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Paint a green bath white? Paul Clarke UK diy 3 March 27th 04 01:03 AM
Turning green wood js Woodworking 11 December 11th 03 10:37 PM
FS: Green & Green book Rick Stein Woodworking 2 October 11th 03 03:59 AM
Is tanalised timber green? Eric Cartman UK diy 14 July 18th 03 05:26 PM