James Barley

Default green Holly

This should get you there.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ts.woodturning

James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley

"F Donald Hart" wrote in message

Hi moyo,
I usually turn my "green" pieces 1" thickness for each 10" diameter,
then put them in a brown bag for six months to a year. Then I re-chuck and
turn them true and to the thickness that I want. Anything that I only

turn
once, I turn it as thin as possible, and let it warp while it also drys in

brown bag for six months to a year. There should be a lot of info in the
Archices on this subject, but I don't know how to reach it. Someone will
probably tell us.
Don Hart

"moyo" wrote in message
news
Turned a really pretty "object" the other day out of fresh cut Nellie
Steven's holly. The object was a cross between a bowl with high sides
and a goblet without a handle...pretty much a "whachamacallit". Now,
being an accomplished whachamacallit turner, I'd like to ask another
turner what they would do to the wood prior to turning to insure
against cracking. I told my SWMBO that the object was going to crack
and it did.

moyo