Paul Clarke

Default Paint a green bath white?

I have an old 1970s/1980s Advocado (green) bath, which came with the house
when I moved in. Given the current hate campaign against this colour I want
to change it to white, I've already put in a white basin & WC.

Rather than incur the expense/inconvenience/waste of a new bath, I'm
wondering about re-painting this bath white and putting in new taps. It's
nothing special; steel, no chips but the wrong colour.

Is this worth trying or just waste of time - wouldn't want a white bath
with green patches where, perhaps, the paint has chipped away after a couple
of years. Are these bath paints just intended to freshen up old, worn white
baths or for this type of application?

TIA Paul.

Apols for technical reasons can't post replies to this post.

Another Dave

Paul Clarke wrote:
I have an old 1970s/1980s Advocado (green) bath, which came with the house
when I moved in. Given the current hate campaign against this colour I want
to change it to white, I've already put in a white basin & WC.

Rather than incur the expense/inconvenience/waste of a new bath, I'm
wondering about re-painting this bath white and putting in new taps. It's
nothing special; steel, no chips but the wrong colour.

Is this worth trying or just waste of time - wouldn't want a white bath
with green patches where, perhaps, the paint has chipped away after a couple
of years. Are these bath paints just intended to freshen up old, worn white
baths or for this type of application?

I had the same problem with an avocado cast-iron bath. I tried a Mr
Tubby kit. It was a two-part epoxy paint. Two coats (all that was
supplied) failed to cover the green adequately and the finish wasn't
great either.

Having wasted £40 and the best part of a day sanding the surface, I
threw out the old bath and bought a new plastic one.

I suggest you do the same and save yourself a lot of trouble. It might
just do if you were renting it out to students;-{

Cheers

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address
geoff

In message , Paul Clarke
writes
I have an old 1970s/1980s Advocado (green) bath, which came with the house
when I moved in. Given the current hate campaign against this colour I want
to change it to white, I've already put in a white basin & WC.

Rather than incur the expense/inconvenience/waste of a new bath, I'm
wondering about re-painting this bath white and putting in new taps. It's
nothing special; steel, no chips but the wrong colour.

Is this worth trying or just waste of time - wouldn't want a white bath
with green patches where, perhaps, the paint has chipped away after a couple
of years. Are these bath paints just intended to freshen up old, worn white
baths or for this type of application?

Google "Tubby"

--
geoff
Toby

geoff wrote:
Google "Tubby"

Then check prices, then pick up a plain white steel Kaldwei for £60ish.

--
Toby.