Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

Default Lathe lessons

Could someone here recommend a book or, preferably, a video on lathe
operation?
Thanks,

Newby Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Max

Two suggestions:

1 Go to the web site for the AAW www.woodturner.org and look for chapters
near you.
2. Go to youtube and search on woodturning videos, there are a great many of
them covering many topics.
Russ
"Max" wrote in message
Could someone here recommend a book or, preferably, a video on lathe
operation?
Thanks,

Newby Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Russ"Max" wrote in message

Could someone here recommend a book or, preferably, a video on lathe
operation?
Thanks,

Newby Max

one problem with youtube, there is a lot of misinformation out there.
i saw one video of a man turning a bowl using nothing but a roughing
gouge!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

"Russ Stanton" wrote

Two suggestions:

1 Go to the web site for the AAW www.woodturner.org and look for chapters
near you.
2. Go to youtube and search on woodturning videos, there are a great many
of them covering many topics.
Russ

Thank you.
I've Googled the subject and picked up any number of tips but I'm really
interested in a book or video (preferably) that might be available.
I've located a local chapter of Woodturners and I will be contacting them.
A neighbor, whose husband passed away a few months ago, *gave* me a
Craftsman lathe that's seen very little use. It's about 25 years old.
If I find myself enjoying the craft, I'll be willing to invest in a much
higher quality machine.
I have a fairly well equipped woodworking shop but have never attempted
woodturning.

Thanks again,
Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A woodturners club is probably one of your best bets for learning.
Most will have a library so you can check out books. They have monthly
demonstrations, and some have workshops, and mentors. There are so
many different types of things to turn, it is difficult to recommend
any one book, but Craft Supplies USA has a great library,or if there
is a Woodcraft store near by, they have a good library as well.

I did a lot of flat work till I got my lathe.

robo hippy

On Feb 27, 8:24*am, "Max" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 27, 8:24 am, "Max" wrote:
[...]

Hello Max,

When I started turning 21 year ago, I bought a copy of Richard
Raffan's book Turning Wood. Richard has revised that book since I
originally purchased my copy. Craft Supplies USA lists the book and a
video for $33.99. I would consider this a good purchase to introduce
you to woodturning. I recently did a book, The Turning Process, which
is available as a download from my web site or as a CD-ROM called Two
Books in One, which has The Turning Process and Making the Chinese
Ball, both on one CD-ROM.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:19:15 -0800, Paul Gilbert wrote:

one problem with youtube, there is a lot of misinformation out there. i
saw one video of a man turning a bowl using nothing but a roughing
gouge!

That's not misinformation - it's simply an extreme example of the rule
that there are no rules :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Paul Gilbert wrote:

one problem with youtube, there is a lot of misinformation out there.
i saw one video of a man turning a bowl using nothing but a roughing
gouge!

If it resulted in a bowl, it simply serves as proof that the people who
say you can't turn a bowl with a roughing gouge are the ones spreading
misinformation.

They also usually have lots of tools they'd like you to buy, and are
making a lot more money selling tools than they are turning. There are a
goodly number of people guilty of misinforming new turners with an eye
towards selling new turners stuff they don't actually need, and mostly
won't use. Beware of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Max" wrote:

Could someone here recommend a book or, preferably, a video on lathe
operation?
Thanks,

Newby Max

Proper safety gear (web search should make clear, or just ask here -
full faceshield, with or without hard-hat depending on what you are
taking on, and avoid things that get caught in rotating parts, like long
hair and loose sleeves, or ties)

A pile of firewood.

Something to burn the results in for a while.

No book or video will do you half the good that turning will. But you
can't reasonably expect to learn if you are worrying about a $20 blank -
thus the firewood. If you get something that you want to keep, great -
otherwise, it was going to burn anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 8:24 am, "Max" wrote:
[...]

I've ordered the CD

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Max" wrote:

Could someone here recommend a book or, preferably, a video on lathe
operation?
Thanks,

Newby Max

Proper safety gear (web search should make clear, or just ask here -
full faceshield, with or without hard-hat depending on what you are
taking on, and avoid things that get caught in rotating parts, like long
hair and loose sleeves, or ties)

A pile of firewood.

Something to burn the results in for a while.

No book or video will do you half the good that turning will. But you
can't reasonably expect to learn if you are worrying about a $20 blank -
thus the firewood. If you get something that you want to keep, great -
otherwise, it was going to burn anyway.

As a retired Fire Chief I'm highly conscious of safety measures. I use
either safety glasses or a face shield depending on the task.
I also use a dust mask and employ the power of a Oneida Super Dust Gorilla.
I do appreciate your reminders though.

Max
No cats, decaffeinated coffee and everything in moderation except chocolate
and woodturning blanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
news:e0e252e4-bf28-4c96-8171- When I started turning 21 year ago, I bought
a copy of Richard

Raffan's book Turning Wood. Richard has revised that book since I
originally purchased my copy. Craft Supplies USA lists the book and a
video for $33.99. I would consider this a good purchase to introduce
you to woodturning. I recently did a book, The Turning Process, which
is available as a download from my web site or as a CD-ROM called Two
Books in One, which has The Turning Process and Making the Chinese
Ball, both on one CD-ROM.

I would strongly back the Raffan recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Turning-Wo...7317235&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wood-R...317294&sr=8-16

I suggest getting both as they are complemetary. Also buy rather than
borrow/rent. I find myself repeatedly going back to both. I have watched the
DVD many times and every time I find something new that I did not understand
before.

As someone else mentioned, Raffan does not suffer from prejudices and uses
tools and techniques that work for him even if they are contrary to the
accepted wisdom.

I have watched others but this is my go-to set.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message

[...]

I just placed an order for the DVD. I put the book on my wish list.
Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Max" wrote in message
"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Max" wrote:

[...]

I prefer a face shield over glasses for turning. I'm missing a largish scar
on my forehead due to wearing a face shield. A bowl blew up on me and a
chunk caught square on the shield - directly over my forehead. Still knocked
me silly for a bit, but took the hit and kept me out of the ER.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

"LDosser" wrote

"Max"

As a retired Fire Chief I'm highly conscious of safety measures. I use
either safety glasses or a face shield depending on the task.
I also use a dust mask and employ the power of a Oneida Super Dust
Gorilla.
I do appreciate your reminders though.

I prefer a face shield over glasses for turning. I'm missing a largish
scar on my forehead due to wearing a face shield. A bowl blew up on me and
a chunk caught square on the shield - directly over my forehead. Still
knocked me silly for a bit, but took the hit and kept me out of the ER.

Yikes!! That's why I noted, "depending on the task". Any time I use a
grinder, bench, disk, die, etc. (sparks) I use a face shield, not just to
protect my face but to protect my *glasses*.
I would say that, other than wood splinters, I've never had an accident in
the shop but if I said that surely tomorrow..........................
so forget I said that.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:19:06 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

My #1 book recommendation is Woodturning: A Foundation Course, by Keith
Rowley

That's the one the resident turning guru at the local Woodcraft store
recommends.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ecnerwal wrote

No book or video will do you half the good that turning will. But you
can't reasonably expect to learn if you are worrying about a $20 blank -
thus the firewood. If you get something that you want to keep, great -
otherwise, it was going to burn anyway.

Here here! I had the wood prior to the lathe - a nice large piece (the
stump) of rock/stone maple. Such beautiful grain patterns and color.
I found a few pieces of it the other day and had enough to make a
small bowl with a lid and 3 or 4 pens. I truly wish I had that stump
now that I am 'slightly' better.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred Holder wrote:

Hello Max,

When I started turning 21 year ago, I bought a copy of Richard
Raffan's book Turning Wood. Richard has revised that book since I
originally purchased my copy. Craft Supplies USA lists the book and a
video for $33.99. I would consider this a good purchase to introduce
you to woodturning. I recently did a book, The Turning Process, which
is available as a download from my web site or as a CD-ROM called Two
Books in One, which has The Turning Process and Making the Chinese
Ball, both on one CD-ROM.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

I too will second the Raffan suggestion. Buy the DVDs, you'll be
reviewing them often.

Lathe lessons? Max Woodworking 5 February 27th 10 08:05 PM
newbie needs a few lessons Hall Family Woodturning 7 August 29th 06 01:28 AM
TIPS and Lessons Learned Amused Woodworking 3 March 27th 06 07:55 AM
Woodworking lessons / Tuition Sam Berlyn Woodworking 7 November 29th 04 01:57 AM
Lessons from today Corey Woodworking 5 October 11th 04 04:44 AM