Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default newbie needs a few lessons

I just bought my very first lathe today. Its a jet jminiII. I'd like
to make pens and other smaller stuff. Is there anyone in the knoxville,
iowa area that can show me how to use this thing safely?

Troy
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

try checking at http://www.woodturner.org/resources/

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Tom is offline

How about checking out the Adult Ed classes that may be offered in the
evening at your local Community College.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:27:03 -0500, Hall Family
wrote:

I just bought my very first lathe today. Its a jet jminiII. I'd like
to make pens and other smaller stuff. Is there anyone in the knoxville,
iowa area that can show me how to use this thing safely?

Troy

Troy... Closest Club that I could find... you might contact them for local
info...
HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!

Des Moines Woodturners Club
Area Served: Central Iowa
Meeting City: Des Moines
Meeting State: IA
Meeting Place: Woodsmith Store
Meeting Date: Saturday after second Tuesday monthly Sept-May
Number of Members: 25
Contact:
Mike Nieters
4236 Thompson Ave
Des Moines, IA 50317
515-263-9851

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
Troy... Closest Club that I could find... you might contact them for local
info...
HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!

Des Moines Woodturners Club
Area Served: Central Iowa
Meeting City: Des Moines
Meeting State: IA
Meeting Place: Woodsmith Store
Meeting Date: Saturday after second Tuesday monthly Sept-May
Number of Members: 25
Contact:
Mike Nieters
4236 Thompson Ave
Des Moines, IA 50317
515-263-9851

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Thanks Mac, I talked to Doug Rasmussen over there and unfortunately he
doesn't have any memebers near me I will be making the monthly drive
out though for the meetings. At least I can learn something there and
perhaps make connections. Course it also gives me an excuse to buy
something from the woodsmith store as the meetings are held inside it!
I'd better not let my wife know that though. She told me last night my
"tool buying" is done for a WHILE!!

Troy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:30:17 -0500, Hall Family
wrote:

Thanks Mac, I talked to Doug Rasmussen over there and unfortunately he
doesn't have any memebers near me I will be making the monthly drive
out though for the meetings. At least I can learn something there and
perhaps make connections. Course it also gives me an excuse to buy
something from the woodsmith store as the meetings are held inside it!
I'd better not let my wife know that though. She told me last night my
"tool buying" is done for a WHILE!!

Troy

Gotta use the way the ladies think to win against 'em Troy.... Our group meets
at a saw shop that usually has "members only" SALE items on meeting day...

2 words that scare the hell out of guys that have been married a while: Cute &
On Sale *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Thanks Mac, I talked to Doug Rasmussen over there and unfortunately he
doesn't have any memebers near me I will be making the monthly drive
out though for the meetings. At least I can learn something there and
perhaps make connections. Course it also gives me an excuse to buy
something from the woodsmith store as the meetings are held inside it!
I'd better not let my wife know that though. She told me last night my
"tool buying" is done for a WHILE!!

Troy

Gotta use the way the ladies think to win against 'em Troy.... Our group meets
at a saw shop that usually has "members only" SALE items on meeting day...

2 words that scare the hell out of guys that have been married a while: Cute &
On Sale *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

What really gets me is I just heard from one of the guys in the
penturners group that Jet is having a big sale at rockler starting
september 1st (but their honoring the prices now ) for the 1014vc with
nova chuck for $299

I would have gladly paid the extra

Troy
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:30:17 -0400, Hall Family
wrote:

You probably won't believe this until after it happens, but you might be
surprised how fast their atitudes change once you start putting nice
things in their hands. Mine just bought me a brand-new laptop because the
one I was using to make a website to sell the things I make was clunky.

'Course, that also means that some of the things intended for sale will
never see a price tag.

;-)

Bill