Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe lessons

On Feb 27, 8:24 am, "Max" wrote:
"Russ Stanton" wrote

Two suggestions:

1 Go to the web site for the AAWwww.woodturner.organd look for chapters
near you.
2. Go to youtube and search on woodturning videos, there are a great many
of them covering many topics.
Russ

Thank you.
I've Googled the subject and picked up any number of tips but I'm really
interested in a book or video (preferably) that might be available.
I've located a local chapter of Woodturners and I will be contacting them.
A neighbor, whose husband passed away a few months ago, *gave* me a
Craftsman lathe that's seen very little use. It's about 25 years old.
If I find myself enjoying the craft, I'll be willing to invest in a much
higher quality machine.
I have a fairly well equipped woodworking shop but have never attempted
woodturning.

Thanks again,
Max

Hello Max,

When I started turning 21 year ago, I bought a copy of Richard
Raffan's book Turning Wood. Richard has revised that book since I
originally purchased my copy. Craft Supplies USA lists the book and a
video for $33.99. I would consider this a good purchase to introduce
you to woodturning. I recently did a book, The Turning Process, which
is available as a download from my web site or as a CD-ROM called Two
Books in One, which has The Turning Process and Making the Chinese
Ball, both on one CD-ROM.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net