Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Max Max is offline

Default Lathe lessons

"LDosser" wrote

"Max"

As a retired Fire Chief I'm highly conscious of safety measures. I use
either safety glasses or a face shield depending on the task.
I also use a dust mask and employ the power of a Oneida Super Dust
Gorilla.
I do appreciate your reminders though.

I prefer a face shield over glasses for turning. I'm missing a largish
scar on my forehead due to wearing a face shield. A bowl blew up on me and
a chunk caught square on the shield - directly over my forehead. Still
knocked me silly for a bit, but took the hit and kept me out of the ER.

Yikes!! That's why I noted, "depending on the task". Any time I use a
grinder, bench, disk, die, etc. (sparks) I use a face shield, not just to
protect my face but to protect my *glasses*.
I would say that, other than wood splinters, I've never had an accident in
the shop but if I said that surely tomorrow..........................
so forget I said that.

Max