Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Final update: healing bowls

On my next to last batch of bowls roughed out, there were 12 cracked
ones for reasons unknown. As an experiment, I soaked each one in a
50:50 mixture of white glue and water. I soaked each one in a plastic
tub, with a brick on it to keep it submerged, for 2 days. Then I put
two strips of wood across the container and turned the bowl down on
them to drain for a few hours, wiped the remainder off and set it back
to dry.

Most of the cracks were initially about 1/16 inch wide some were 1/8
or a little larger. One showed no improvement. One was completely
healed. Even after completely drying, finish turning and sanding I
never found the original crack. Most of the others when finished have
what looks like a black hair where the crack was. This decreases their
value but tells me the procedure is not totally worthless.

I probably will not use this again but it is an option for a
irreplaceable piece that cracked. Note: All these bowls were Sweetgum.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Somewhere in the world there's
somebody better than me, but I haven't
met him yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
news
[...]

the cracks can add value if you exploit them

boiling the bowls will also fix the problem - boil right after rough
turning - boil for an hour or two then let dry

Somewhere in the world there's
somebody better than me, but I haven't
met him yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Noble wrote:

"Gerald wrote in message
news
[...]

I went through my boiling period a couple of years ago. Made me feel
like the witch of Endor and over a long period did not notice any big
change in the number of cracks.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA