Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sash window won't stay up FINAL UPDATE.

Hello all.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be fitting new sash cords.
I will replace the broken parting beads on both sides (not the whole beads,
as it will be too much work; it's a _large_ window, and the kitchen sink
assembly reduces access by two thirds).
I've ordered 4 half pound makeweights, and 2 Grabba (does away with nailing
the sash cords) from Mighton Products.
The bits should arrive on Monday.
I'll start by adding one half pound makeweight to each side, and hope that
this will be enough.
The "Grabba" is meant to make fitting and adjustment of the sash cord
easier. I have no idea how it works as there was no explanation or
illustration on the website.
If you want to use Mightons, be warned: the only delivery method (overnight,
next day) costs £10.30.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
news
Hello all.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be fitting new sash cords.
I will replace the broken parting beads on both sides (not the whole
beads, as it will be too much work; it's a _large_ window, and the kitchen
sink assembly reduces access by two thirds).
I've ordered 4 half pound makeweights, and 2 Grabba (does away with
nailing the sash cords) from Mighton Products.

The bits should arrive on Monday.
I'll start by adding one half pound makeweight to each side, and hope that
this will be enough.
The "Grabba" is meant to make fitting and adjustment of the sash cord
easier. I have no idea how it works as there was no explanation or
illustration on the website.

You will need to cut out recesses to fit the Grabbas.

How large is large, if over 42lbs Mighton recommend pinning as well.

If you want to use Mightons, be warned: the only delivery method
(overnight, next day) costs £10.30.

Not so, if the stuff you're ordering can be put in a Jiffy bag & posted then
ask them to do that instead.

Toby

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby Sleigh" wrote in message

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
news
Hello all.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be fitting new sash cords.
I will replace the broken parting beads on both sides (not the whole
beads, as it will be too much work; it's a _large_ window, and the
kitchen sink assembly reduces access by two thirds).
I've ordered 4 half pound makeweights, and 2 Grabba (does away with
nailing the sash cords) from Mighton Products.

The bits should arrive on Monday.
I'll start by adding one half pound makeweight to each side, and hope
that this will be enough.
The "Grabba" is meant to make fitting and adjustment of the sash cord
easier. I have no idea how it works as there was no explanation or
illustration on the website.

You will need to cut out recesses to fit the Grabbas.

I won't bother to fit them, then. They weren't expensive.

How large is large, if over 42lbs Mighton recommend pinning as well.

Quite large. I'll just nail them then. The Grabbas are no "big deal". I was
just curious about them.

If you want to use Mightons, be warned: the only delivery method
(overnight, next day) costs £10.30.

Not so, if the stuff you're ordering can be put in a Jiffy bag & posted
then ask them to do that instead.

You're right, of course. _Damn memory_.

Sylvain.

Toby

Sash window won't stay up UPDATE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 16 September 1st 06 03:20 PM
Window removal Eigenvector Home Repair 9 August 20th 06 06:23 PM
Replacement window minus the replacement Gabrielli Home Repair 3 July 18th 06 02:26 PM
Window Sash router bits? Joe T Woodworking 3 February 19th 06 06:34 AM
sash windows #3 update - 6mm thick glass Mark Watson UK diy 4 August 21st 05 06:30 PM