Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Final update: healing bowls

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
news
On my next to last batch of bowls roughed out, there were 12 cracked ones
for reasons unknown. As an experiment, I soaked each one in a 50:50
mixture of white glue and water. I soaked each one in a plastic tub, with
a brick on it to keep it submerged, for 2 days. Then I put two strips of
wood across the container and turned the bowl down on them to drain for a
few hours, wiped the remainder off and set it back to dry.

Most of the cracks were initially about 1/16 inch wide some were 1/8 or a
little larger. One showed no improvement. One was completely healed. Even
after completely drying, finish turning and sanding I never found the
original crack. Most of the others when finished have what looks like a
black hair where the crack was. This decreases their value but tells me
the procedure is not totally worthless.

I probably will not use this again but it is an option for a irreplaceable
piece that cracked. Note: All these bowls were Sweetgum.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

the cracks can add value if you exploit them

boiling the bowls will also fix the problem - boil right after rough
turning - boil for an hour or two then let dry

Somewhere in the world there's
somebody better than me, but I haven't
met him yet.