Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Transferring text/pics to a bowl or pen

I THINK I saw something on this site quite sometime back about using a
laserjet printer
to transfer images/text from paper to a turning. The process was to
type or print what you
want on paper and then using an iron transfer the contents of the page
to the turning.
Now one would have to diddle with MS Word, Word Perfect or whatever
software is used to
have the text printed out in reverse so the transfer would be legible
on the turning. I wonder
about the transferring process and if it would work; using a warm
iron.
Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote: (clip) Now one would have to diddle with MS Word, Word
Perfect or whatever
software is used to
have the text printed out in reverse so the transfer would be legible
on the turning. I wonder
about the transferring process and if it would work; using a warm
iron.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have used some iron-on material for applying photographs to tee-shirts,
with moderate success. I think you will have difficulty applying even
pressure between the *FLAT* iron and the curved surface of the turning. For
tee-shirts, the process is done with a towel *and* the shirt under the iron
to provide cushioning.

As to reversing the image--yes, if you're going onto a white or light
colored surface. If you're going onto a dark surface, there is a different
iron-on material which includes a black background, and which requires no
reversal. If you can get the process to work, you will have to decide for
each object, whether to treat it as white or black.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Kevin" wrote: (clip) Now one would have to diddle with MS Word, Word
Perfect or whatever
software is used to
have the text printed out in reverse so the transfer would be legible
on the turning. I wonder
about the transferring process and if it would work; using a warm
iron.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have used some iron-on material for applying photographs to tee-shirts,
with moderate success. I think you will have difficulty applying even
pressure between the *FLAT* iron and the curved surface of the turning.

It's not as easy as ironing a transfer onto a t-shirt, but it's certainly not
rocket science either. That's how I put "trademarks" onto the baseball bats I
made for my kids. Just takes patience.

As to reversing the image--yes, if you're going onto a white or light
colored surface. If you're going onto a dark surface, there is a different
iron-on material which includes a black background, and which requires no
reversal. If you can get the process to work, you will have to decide for
each object, whether to treat it as white or black.

???? In all cases, the image needs to be printed mirror-reversed so that it
will appear correctly on the object. This has _absolutely nothing_ to do with
the color of either the image or the background.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , Kevin wrote:
I THINK I saw something on this site quite sometime back about using a laserjet printer
to transfer images/text from paper to a turning. The process was to type or print what you
want on paper and then using an iron transfer the contents of the page to the turning.
Now one would have to diddle with MS Word, Word Perfect or whatever software is used to
have the text printed out in reverse so the transfer would be legible on the turning. I wonder
about the transferring process and if it would work; using a warm iron.

Works just fine. I made baseball bats for my kids a few years ago, and that's
how I applied the "trademarks". Rather than trying to do this with a
word-processing program, you'll probably find that it's much easier using a
graphics package such as Corel Draw.

Note that you can still do this, even if you don't have a laser printer
available to you: print the design out on an inkjet printer, then photocopy
it and use the copy.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Doug Miller" wrote: (clip) ???? In all cases, the image needs to be
printed mirror-reversed so that it
will appear correctly on the object.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you print dark colored lettering onto a dark surface, it will not be
visible. The transfer material for this includes a white background, and it
is ironed on image side up--ergo, not reversed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This has _absolutely nothing_ to do with the color of either the image or
the background.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It does if you want to be able to see the image. Been there--done that.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
I THINK I saw something on this site quite sometime back about using a
laserjet printer
to transfer images/text from paper to a turning. The process was to
type or print what you
want on paper and then using an iron transfer the contents of the page
to the turning.
Now one would have to diddle with MS Word, Word Perfect or whatever
software is used to
have the text printed out in reverse so the transfer would be legible
on the turning. I wonder
about the transferring process and if it would work; using a warm
iron.
Thanks

Try getting some waterbased decal materal for the "inkjet" type printers,
scan your picture/words, print and apply just like the old model airplanes.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote: (clip) ???? In all cases, the image needs to be
printed mirror-reversed so that it
will appear correctly on the object.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you print dark colored lettering onto a dark surface, it will not be
visible. The transfer material for this includes a white background, and it
is ironed on image side up--ergo, not reversed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This has _absolutely nothing_ to do with the color of either the image or
the background.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It does if you want to be able to see the image. Been there--done that.

No, it doesn't. Mirror-reversing the image has absolutely nothing to do with
the contrast of the image against its background -- but it has everything to
do with whether lettering will appear correctly, or mirror-reversed, once the
transfer is applied.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Doug Miller" wrote: No, it doesn't. Mirror-reversing the image has
absolutely nothing to do with
the contrast of the image against its background -- but it has everything
do with whether lettering will appear correctly, or mirror-reversed, once
the
transfer is applied.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What you don't seem to get is that a different transfer material is made for
use on dark backgrounds. It incorporates a white layer, and the printer
puts the image on top of this white layer. When the image is ironed on, the
white layer goes onto the tee shirt (or whatever) with the image on top of
it. The image has to be forward reading for this to work. IOW, you don't
flop the image over to iron it on.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

What you don't seem to get is that a different transfer material is made for
use on dark backgrounds. It incorporates a white layer, and the printer
puts the image on top of this white layer. When the image is ironed on, the
white layer goes onto the tee shirt (or whatever) with the image on top of
it. The image has to be forward reading for this to work. IOW, you don't
flop the image over to iron it on.

What you don't seem to get is that the OP didn't ask about tee-shirt
transfers. He asked about printing on paper, with a laser printer.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Doug Miller" wrote: What you don't seem to get is that the OP didn't ask
about tee-shirt
transfers. He asked about printing on paper, with a laser printer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, he asked about a process using transfer paper to apply images to
wooden turnings. My response was to clarify a statement he made about
reversing the image. But, I'm tired of this--good bye.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote: What you don't seem to get is that the OP didn't ask
about tee-shirt
transfers. He asked about printing on paper, with a laser printer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, he asked about a process using transfer paper to apply images to
wooden turnings. My response was to clarify a statement he made about
reversing the image. But, I'm tired of this--good bye.

Actually, no, he didn't. This is the first sentence of the original post:

"I THINK I saw something on this site quite sometime back about using a
laserjet printer to transfer images/text from paper to a turning."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Looks like Doug found something to argue about, as usual.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , "CW" wrote:
Do I hear peddles being turned backwards?

Apparently you didn't read the original post any more carefully than Leo did.

wrote:

What you don't seem to get is that a different transfer material is made
for
use on dark backgrounds. It incorporates a white layer, and the printer
puts the image on top of this white layer. When the image is ironed on,
the
white layer goes onto the tee shirt (or whatever) with the image on top of
it. The image has to be forward reading for this to work. IOW, you don't
flop the image over to iron it on.

What you don't seem to get is that the OP didn't ask about tee-shirt
transfers. He asked about printing on paper, with a laser printer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , "CW" wrote:
Looks like Doug found something to argue about, as usual.

Perhaps you should take the time to actually *read* the original post, and the

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Goodness, I had no idea my perhaps inadequately phrased question would
cause
such a ruckus. I have noticed that Julian Pharis responded in a
separate post
pretty much what I had remembered.
Thanks to all who responded.

On Jun 3, 11:34*am, Kevin wrote:
I THINK I saw something on this site quite sometime back about using a
laserjet printer
to transfer images/text from paper to a turning. *The process was to
type or print what you
want on paper and then using an iron transfer the contents of the page
to the turning.
Now one would have to diddle with MS Word, Word Perfect or whatever
software is used to
have the text printed out in reverse so the transfer would be legible
on the turning. *I wonder
about the transferring process and if it would work; using a warm
iron.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin wrote:
Goodness, I had no idea my perhaps inadequately phrased question would
cause such a ruckus.

As the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished!"
;-)

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

He might be referring to something like this:

Wood Imprinting Set
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/EGSET.html

I believe it's a glorified soldering iron. I used to print on regular
paper with my ink jet printer and use my wife's clothes iron to get
the same results. Although, the transfer to wood was never 100%
perfect. I think I need to experiment more with this technique.

Roy

House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 4 September 10th 07 02:50 PM
Question about transferring an image onto wood [email protected] Woodworking 5 March 13th 07 11:00 AM
bowl pics dan cordes Woodturning 1 January 7th 06 11:52 PM
Garage Door Opener Remote: Transferring Code To A New One ? Robert11 Home Repair 6 July 23rd 05 04:39 AM
Transferring images to metal or wood [email protected] Woodworking 3 December 20th 04 11:47 PM