Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Any suggestions for free newsgroup reader...

Hello to the group,

My current ISP Com(NOT)cast(IC) has decided to cancel access to newsgroups
for subscribers effective October 25th. Nice eh? Of course, there is no
change in our monthly payment. Sweet. They were kind enough to provide a
link to a service that costs up to $30.00 per month for a newsgroup feed.
:-o

Anyone have suggestions for a free newsgroup feed service? Is it easy to
access? Can you provide a link, or the website address to signup? Thanks in
advance and all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:15:19 -0500, Steve Russell
wrote:

Hello to the group,

My current ISP Com(NOT)cast(IC) has decided to cancel access to newsgroups
for subscribers effective October 25th. Nice eh? Of course, there is no
change in our monthly payment. Sweet. They were kind enough to provide a
link to a service that costs up to $30.00 per month for a newsgroup feed.
:-o

Anyone have suggestions for a free newsgroup feed service? Is it easy to
access? Can you provide a link, or the website address to signup? Thanks in
advance and all the best to you and yours!

Hey Steve... Normalized after Ike yet?
The store in Houston that I do web work for (Arne's) is still closed and hopes
to reopen in a few weeks..

I don't know of any free services, but I recommend APN....
It's only $3 a month..
Good service, all groups that I read are supplied, good retention, no ads,
etc...
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steve,

rec.crafts.woodturning can be accessed via Google. Just sign into
Google groups and add it to your list. Best of all, its FREE!!

`Casper

An informative link ...
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9116 064

Hello to the group,

My current ISP Com(NOT)cast(IC) has decided to cancel access to newsgroups
for subscribers effective October 25th. Nice eh? Of course, there is no
change in our monthly payment. Sweet. They were kind enough to provide a
link to a service that costs up to $30.00 per month for a newsgroup feed.
:-o

Anyone have suggestions for a free newsgroup feed service? Is it easy to
access? Can you provide a link, or the website address to signup? Thanks in
advance and all the best to you and yours!
Steve Russell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Casper writes:

Steve,

rec.crafts.woodturning can be accessed via Google. Just sign into
Google groups and add it to your list. Best of all, its FREE!!

And the user interface sucks bigtime (no killfiles, etc.)

Teranews: Cost $4 one timme fee.
Glorb.net: cost $10 a year (that's what I use)
Some people use aioe.org - free.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steve

Try this. Works for me and is better than that provided by my ISP.

http://www.aioe.org/

They don't do binaries.

BillR

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Mac,

Thanks for the tip... Yes, we are (well mostly) back to normal after Ike. My
Internet service goes down almost every day for some period of time, but
that's about the only lingering thing for us. Our storm debris has even been
picked up, so we're getting back in the groove.

We were lucky to have sustained no damage to our home or property, other
than a bit of fencing that was blown down. Several neighbours near me had
trees blown into their homes, or garages. We lost small limbs only, no trees
at all. I'll take a look at APN... Thanks again.
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Casper,

Woo Hoo! Thanks! About the only time I use Google is for a search... Guess I
need to take a good look around. :-) Take care and best wishes to you and
yours!
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&articl
eId=9116064

Hello to the group,

My current ISP Com(NOT)cast(IC) has decided to cancel access to newsgroups
for subscribers effective October 25th. Nice eh? Of course, there is no
change in our monthly payment. Sweet. They were kind enough to provide a
link to a service that costs up to $30.00 per month for a newsgroup feed.
:-o

Anyone have suggestions for a free newsgroup feed service? Is it easy to
access? Can you provide a link, or the website address to signup? Thanks in
advance and all the best to you and yours!
Steve Russell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Jr,

Thanks for the links... I will check them out! Take care and best wishes to
you and yours!

On 10/9/08 11:18 AM, in article , "Rob"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Max,

I guess there's no free lunch... :-( I don't mind paying a little, but
$30.00 per month for a newsgroup feed is unacceptable. I'll take a look at
your suggestions. Thanks again and best wishes to you and yours!

On 10/9/08 7:15 PM, in article lid, "Maxwell Lol"
wrote:

Casper writes:

Steve,

rec.crafts.woodturning can be accessed via Google. Just sign into
Google groups and add it to your list. Best of all, its FREE!!

And the user interface sucks bigtime (no killfiles, etc.)

Teranews: Cost $4 one timme fee.
Glorb.net: cost $10 a year (that's what I use)
Some people use aioe.org - free.

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the links... I need to find something in the next week or so.
Thanks again and take care!

On 10/11/08 3:57 PM, in article
a, "Dave Balderstone"
wrote:

In article , Steve Russell
wrote:

Hello to the group,

My current ISP Com(NOT)cast(IC) has decided to cancel access to newsgroups
for subscribers effective October 25th. Nice eh? Of course, there is no
change in our monthly payment. Sweet. They were kind enough to provide a
link to a service that costs up to $30.00 per month for a newsgroup feed.
:-o

Anyone have suggestions for a free newsgroup feed service? Is it easy to
access? Can you provide a link, or the website address to signup? Thanks in
advance and all the best to you and yours!

See:

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en-us&q=free+usenet

I use individual.net. It's not free, but it's really inexpensive. No
binary groups, though.

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the tip... I've heard about this reader before, but did not
recall it until I saw some of the posts here. Thanks again and best wishes
to you and yours!

On 10/10/08 9:53 AM, in article , "BillR"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You are most welcome Steve.

Google isn't just a search engine anymore. I don't use all the google
features (ex: gmail) but for free and readily available from any
internet PC, it's hard to not notice it has its uses.

Hubby and I both are computer engineers. We don't always agree (he
keeps trying to get me into gmail but I already have 5 email
accounts!), but we often agree on user friendly things, especially
when they are friendly on the wallet.

Best wishes to you too!
`Casper

Hello Casper,

Woo Hoo! Thanks! About the only time I use Google is for a search... Guess I
need to take a good look around. :-) Take care and best wishes to you and
yours!
Steve Russell

OT - Free newsgroup access for Roadrunner / Verizon people Frank[_12_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 June 22nd 08 11:36 PM
PDF reader for webtv ? Arch Woodturning 3 June 17th 06 01:37 AM
new reader john s Woodworking 3 March 29th 05 12:26 AM
Free powdered zinc in DFW Texas or open to suggestions CrazyVern Metalworking 11 November 29th 04 11:58 AM