CrazyVern

Default Free powdered zinc in DFW Texas or open to suggestions

Hi Group,
I have a lot of powdered zinc if anyone here is interested. I figured
I would offer to the group before I tried to sell it. It is in
plastic bags inside of metal cans. Each can weighs about 90 lbs. If
interested you have to pickup at my shop and take at least one can. I
have 20 cans. It was part of a take it all or nothing deal of a
closed paint store.

I am also open to any good suggestions.

If interested email me and we can work out a time to pickup.

Thanks,
Vernon Phillips

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:15:03 -0800, "Jerry J. Wass"
wrote:

It was used as a pigment for paint--like powdered aluminum, only offering a
modicun
of corrosion protection

" wrote:

What was the zinc used for in a paint store?
What would one use it for otherwise?
Casting pot metal?

Isn't there a sort of Rocket Fuel made from zinc powder and sulphur?

On 24 Nov 2004 09:10:13 -0800, (CrazyVern) wrote:

||Hi Group,
||I have a lot of powdered zinc if anyone here is interested. I figured
||I would offer to the group before I tried to sell it. It is in
||plastic bags inside of metal cans. Each can weighs about 90 lbs. If
||interested you have to pickup at my shop and take at least one can. I
||have 20 cans. It was part of a take it all or nothing deal of a
||closed paint store.
||I am also open to any good suggestions.
||If interested email me and we can work out a time to pickup.
||Thanks,
||Vernon Phillips

Texas Parts Guy

"CrazyVern" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
Hi Group,
I have a lot of powdered zinc if anyone here is interested. I figured
I would offer to the group before I tried to sell it. It is in
plastic bags inside of metal cans. Each can weighs about 90 lbs. If
interested you have to pickup at my shop and take at least one can. I
have 20 cans. It was part of a take it all or nothing deal of a
closed paint store.

You might want to post that message in rec.pyrotechnics I am sure folks
there would love getting their hands on this

/peter

Ian Malcolm

CrazyVern wrote:

Hi Group,
I have a lot of powdered zinc if anyone here is interested. I figured
I would offer to the group before I tried to sell it. It is in
plastic bags inside of metal cans. Each can weighs about 90 lbs. If
interested you have to pickup at my shop and take at least one can. I
have 20 cans. It was part of a take it all or nothing deal of a
closed paint store.

I am also open to any good suggestions.

I was googling about and I stumbled accross a rust removal method that
involves immersing the part in a boiling lye solution and adding zinc.
I havent tried it as electrolysis works fine for the small parts I need
to derust but if you have something big to do like a rust siezed engine,
it sound like just the job. Also its sounds like it would avoid the
'shadowing' problems you get with complicated or hollow parts and
electrolysis. http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/rust.htm
Dont see any reason why powder wouldn't work as well if not better than
chunks of the stuff.

If interested email me and we can work out a time to pickup.

Thanks,
Vernon Phillips

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961
Peter T. Keillor III

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:06:54 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Isn't there a sort of Rocket Fuel made from zinc powder and sulphur?

That would work. It would also be moderately useful in fireworks I suppose
(think aluminum or magnesium filings). Cyan sparkles anyone?

Not useful for melting.

Tim

As a teenager, I burned my face and about half my hair with zinc
chromate (chromates, good grief!) and sulfur. Finally got the mix
right, about 1/2 cup in a 2 lb. coffee can (I had two gallons ready to
mix up for a 6" dia. x 2' piece of pipe with a blind flange on one end
and weld cap on the other). I dropped a match from standing over the
can, saw a green flash, and shut my eyes. 2nd degree burns over most
of my face, no eyebrows, hair burned back about an inch. The half cup
melted some of the bottom out of the coffee can. It was a painful
night, then a lot of peeling over the next few weeks.

I'd be relatively careful with that mess, if I were you.

Pete Keillor
James L. Marino

Uhm, Gentlemen,

The zinc/sulfur mix is known as "Micro-grain". It is possibly the
most dangerous of rocket propellants. Please, don't try this.

I am an advanced rocketeer. I do make composite propellants, and fly
very large rockets. I'm certified level 3 with the Tripoli Rocketry
Association. I do know of what I speak when it comes to making rocket
propellant. PLEASE, DON"T MESS WITH MICRGRAIN. It's a good way to make your
loved ones cry.

And Vern, please ask people that come in looking for the zinc, what
they plan to do with it. If they answer "Make rockets", please ask them to
leave empty handed. We in the rocketry community don't need the bad
publicity. We're already in a fight with the government for our very
existence.

Thank you,

--
James L. Marino
SAS, LUNAR,

"Ban light pollution, not rocket motors."

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:06:54 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Free Custom Walkthrough Checklists for New Homes! customwalkthroughchecklists.com Home Ownership 3 July 27th 04 04:39 PM
Lint free rags? David P Woodworking 10 December 18th 03 10:23 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM