Peter T. Keillor III

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:06:54 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Isn't there a sort of Rocket Fuel made from zinc powder and sulphur?

That would work. It would also be moderately useful in fireworks I suppose
(think aluminum or magnesium filings). Cyan sparkles anyone?

Not useful for melting.

Tim

As a teenager, I burned my face and about half my hair with zinc
chromate (chromates, good grief!) and sulfur. Finally got the mix
right, about 1/2 cup in a 2 lb. coffee can (I had two gallons ready to
mix up for a 6" dia. x 2' piece of pipe with a blind flange on one end
and weld cap on the other). I dropped a match from standing over the
can, saw a green flash, and shut my eyes. 2nd degree burns over most
of my face, no eyebrows, hair burned back about an inch. The half cup
melted some of the bottom out of the coffee can. It was a painful
night, then a lot of peeling over the next few weeks.

I'd be relatively careful with that mess, if I were you.

Pete Keillor