Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Where to buy CA online?

I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 16, 10:49*pm, errfrsdaf wrote:
I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. *I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Almost all of the people who sell pen kits carry CA. I buy mine at
Woodcraft, But rockler, lee valley, penn state, woodturners
catalog,any of these guys sell it. You can find it in any hobby store.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:49 pm, errfrsdaf wrote:

I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Almost all of the people who sell pen kits carry CA. I buy mine at
Woodcraft, But rockler, lee valley, penn state, woodturners
catalog,any of these guys sell it. You can find it in any hobby store.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Lowes and Home Depot as well

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , errfrsdaf
writes
I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?

In the UK we have some cheap shops where everything is a "pound". These
type of stores often carry low priced "CA" usually very thin too IIRC I
picked up 100ml for a pound ($2 for those in the US).

One warning, if you plan to soak your wood in it, do so in a very well
ventilated area.

I used a small quantity 20ml in my workshop and had to leave it vacated
for over an hour. The fumes are not good for you, also the vapour can
attack the eyes and make them sting
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
John Siegel wrote:

randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:49 pm, errfrsdaf wrote:

I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Almost all of the people who sell pen kits carry CA. I buy mine at
Woodcraft, But rockler, lee valley, penn state, woodturners
catalog,any of these guys sell it. You can find it in any hobby store.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Lowes and Home Depot as well

God, and be pre-paired to get a loan... I con't imagine what a quart of
CA would cost there

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Try EZ Bond http://www.e-zbond.com/

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:49:44 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?

I've been getting mine here for years and am happy with it..

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...&qryType=CRSEL
or
http://tinyurl.com/5hdunu

Be aware that because of current laws, it has to be shipped by ground..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

C/A is not your only solution. A product called "Clear Penetrating Epoxy
Sealer," made by Smith and Company, Richmond, CA, and sold in a number of
woodcraft type stores may do what you want. I have used it for repair work,
and have seen it used for turning punky and decayed wood. It locks the
pithy fibers together so they keep their shape when they are turned. I used
it to re-anchor lag bolts that hold my porch rail to the house. The
"carpenter" who installed then didn't use any sealer, and rain water
eventually caused so much decay that the lag bolts started to pull loose.
It's solid as a rock now.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
John Siegel wrote:

randyswoodshoop wrote:

On Aug 16, 10:49 pm, errfrsdaf wrote:

I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Almost all of the people who sell pen kits carry CA. I buy mine at
Woodcraft, But rockler, lee valley, penn state, woodturners
catalog,any of these guys sell it. You can find it in any hobby store.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Lowes and Home Depot as well

God, and be pre-paired to get a loan... I con't imagine what a quart of
CA would cost there

Never seen a quantity like that there - only small dispenser bottles of
less than an ounce. OK when you need just a little (and no shipping
costs). I can't imagine how I would ever use a quart and how likely it
would still be good by the time I did.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

C/A is not your only solution. A product called "Clear Penetrating Epoxy
Sealer," made by Smith and Company, Richmond, CA, and sold in a number of
woodcraft type stores may do what you want. I have used it for repair work,
and have seen it used for turning punky and decayed wood. It locks the
pithy fibers together so they keep their shape when they are turned. I used
it to re-anchor lag bolts that hold my porch rail to the house. The
"carpenter" who installed then didn't use any sealer, and rain water
eventually caused so much decay that the lag bolts started to pull loose.
It's solid as a rock now.

Minwax Wood Hardener works also, penetrates (sp?) better then epoxy too
(I use epoxy for voids)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:16:27 -0400, John Siegel
wrote:

Never seen a quantity like that there - only small dispenser bottles of
less than an ounce. OK when you need just a little (and no shipping
costs). I can't imagine how I would ever use a quart and how likely it
would still be good by the time I did.

Me,too..
I use a lot of CA and the largest I buy is 4 oz bottles, but usually in the
2oz....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I walked into an office supply store and found a hundred bottles.
I got my choice of thick gel.

If you don't have a hobby store - try office supply or dime store or grocery in
the oil/light bulb/car part/glue section.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

errfrsdaf wrote:
I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I walked into an office supply store and found a hundred bottles.
I got my choice of thick gel.

If you don't have a hobby store - try office supply or dime store or
grocery in
the oil/light bulb/car part/glue section.

So CA is a commodity? It's all the same anywhere you get it?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

CA is sold by dozens of companies. Super Glue.
It is a chemical. I've seen it for sale for ~30 years now.

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

errfrsdaf wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I walked into an office supply store and found a hundred bottles.
I got my choice of thick gel.

If you don't have a hobby store - try office supply or dime store or
grocery in
the oil/light bulb/car part/glue section.

So CA is a commodity? It's all the same anywhere you get it?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

step 1 type "cyanoacrylate" into a search engine - many choices of sites
will come back - most sell it
step 2 - choose a supplier - for example,
http://www.globaladhesives.net/cyanoacrylates.htm has 16 oz for $50

or consult ebay, it says "72 items found for cyanoacrylate in eBay Stores"

you get the idea. Starbond usually has attracve prices, but I get it
cheaper at a local swap meet

"errfrsdaf" wrote in message
I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:02:03 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I walked into an office supply store and found a hundred bottles.
I got my choice of thick gel.

If you don't have a hobby store - try office supply or dime store or
grocery in
the oil/light bulb/car part/glue section.

So CA is a commodity? It's all the same anywhere you get it?

I've read that the only difference between brands is quality/purity..
Makes sense, I guess... All Vodka starts out the same, just depends on how many
times it's filtered and how clean the filters are.. DAMHIKT

The one that I think is grossly over priced is "hot stuff" or whatever..

Most places like Klingspors and the like have a "house brand", (one distributor,
lots of labels?), that's less then the name brands..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , John
writes
In message , errfrsdaf
writes
I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?

In the UK we have some cheap shops where everything is a "pound". These
type of stores often carry low priced "CA" usually very thin too IIRC I
picked up 100ml for a pound ($2 for those in the US).

Following up on my own post here. My quantities were in error

It was actually 50ml for $2

Putting into perspective, I have seen elsewhere in this thread mention
of $50 for 16 oz of CA

16oz = 473ml
so approximately 10 packages at $2 = $20

that's a $30 dollar saving !

Must be a first, everything else wood turning related is almost double
in the UK to that in the US
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 16, 11:49�pm, errfrsdaf wrote:
I need some water thin CA and also thick CA. �I want the thin
stuff to really soak in to fix some problematic blanks.
What is a good site to buy it online assuming I can't find
it locally?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Try www.towerhobbies.com for CA glue or for bulk thin epoxy
http://www.westsystem.com/!

Keep turnin!
Tim
www.alisam.com
Indexing systems for the woodturner and home of the "Sharpening Sled
TM"
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have had great success with EZ Bond for several years. I keep unused
large quantities in the freezer and decant to 2 oz bottles as needed.
They provide viscosities from 5 cps to 1500 cps. I have some in the
freezer that is more than 2 years old - still good.
I get mine from
Once on their mailing list, they send out emails soliciting orders
about once a month. They combine the orders to obtain fresh CA from
the manufacturer, then ship. The process takes a couple weeks, but
the price is worth it! Their price for 16 oz is about $25.50 plus
shipping - about half of the manufacturer's internet price.
Good luck - Hought