Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet Mini 1014 availability

Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

sam wrote:
Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

The 1014VSI is still listed on Jet's web site. See the below link.
There's a "Where to Buy" button for the lathe.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...Cat&cat=333132

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

sam wrote:

Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

That seems to be the going price for a new one. The deal may
be that if you get it AND a chuck or other accessory, you may
get the accessory at a significant price reduction. If you
don't already have that "accessory" and will "need" it - then
the package deal can actually be a deal.

The fun and games in a purchasing decision like this is that they
- in this case JET - keep coming out with New AND Improved
models in the same price range. JET has a 10-14 model - with
a locking spindle and indexing - handy things to have - for around
$300. BUT - it doesn't have variable speed. And I suspect they
have a model in the works with the locking spindle, indexing built
in AND VS - but for another $75 to $100.

Given what's out there in the under $400 dollar range, and given
the space I have for a lathe - I'd go with the JET mini VS again.
You'll spend many multiples of the lathe price if you get even
semi-into turning.

Choose, bite the bullet and start slinging shavings all over the
place.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 19, 1:38 pm, charlieb wrote:
sam wrote:

Given what's out there in the under $400 dollar range, and given
the space I have for a lathe - I'd go with the JET mini VS again.
You'll spend many multiples of the lathe price if you get even
semi-into turning.

All current models are shown as available on the Woodcraft site,
including bed extensions.

And considering I have absolutely used that machine beyond anything I
would have ever imagined, the investment in the machine is cheap.
With a basic set of tools, you will get more hours of fun than you can
imagine.

Choose, bite the bullet and start slinging shavings all over the
place.

A man after my own heart.

Get out and make some firewood! Sometimes it is therapeutic for me to
just get out and make some shavings with no particular project in
mind.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lathe Description - Was: Jet Mini 1014 availability

In message KXw6k.6679$7A1.1854@trndny04, Nova
writes
sam wrote:
Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal?
Or
can I find a better deal?

The 1014VSI is still listed on Jet's web site. See the below link.
There's a "Where to Buy" button for the lathe.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...Cat&cat=333132

Very interesting pages, it seems obvious that the people creating them
may have limited understanding of how a lathe works

See the JWL-1236,

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...assID=333132&P
art=708352

it states

'Headstock swivels 360° with positive stops at 45° and 90° and may be
positioned anywhere along the bed ways for maximum flexibility and user
comfort'

Well assuming that model is exactly the same as my small Axminster M900,
there is no way that headstock is doing anything but going around in
circles !

The other issue I found with my variant was that the top of the too rest
was 3mm (metric) below centreline) makes it hard to do anything good
with a bowl. Surprising when I got my new lathe working, where there is
a good inch below centreline, I found my standard of bowl turning
increased 1000%. A workman can blame his tools The funny thing was
the cheaper copies of this lathe

I do wish people would get catalogues correct. The picture used by
Axminster for their M950 is rubbish

http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/p...PTCM950_xl.jpg

Take a line from Tailstock to Headstock , and you will see they had the
wrong Tailstock fitted as its a good inch below centreline..
--
John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

I bought a jet mini about a year ago. Non variable speed. Cost about
$180.00. Variable speed is in no way necessary on a wood lathe. Also, the
variable speed lathes often are very lacking in torque at slow speeds.

"sam" wrote in message
news
Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 19, 11:55*am, sam wrote:
Is the Jet 1014 still available? *Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. *Is that a good deal? *Or
can I find a better deal?

The 329 is the going price for this lathe. My local wood craft has
them in stock.
Seems to be an ok deal.
I have one and have used it way more then I ever thought I would when
I bought it

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
sam wrote:

Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

Maybe. Craft Supplies USA has it for that price also (plus shipping).
Last year I hit a deal with them for free shipping

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:18:47 -0700, "CW"
wrote:

I bought a jet mini about a year ago. Non variable speed. Cost about
$180.00. Variable speed is in no way necessary on a wood lathe. Also, the
variable speed lathes often are very lacking in torque at slow speeds.

That is the one that I was looking for, but it seems like it is no
longer available. It seems like it was replaced by an indexing model.
Which leads me to ask how useful is variable speed and indexing. I
have never used a lathe, but have done a lot of wood working.

"sam" wrote in message
news
Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

sam writes:

That is the one that I was looking for, but it seems like it is no
longer available. It seems like it was replaced by an indexing model.
Which leads me to ask how useful is variable speed and indexing. I
have never used a lathe, but have done a lot of wood working.

Indexing is useful if you want to replicate a non-lathe pattern around
your piece, like drill holes every 15 degrees.

Or you can use it to hold the arbor in place as you remove a chuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I bought a jet mini about a year ago. Non variable speed. Cost about
$180.00. Variable speed is in no way necessary on a wood lathe. Also, the
variable speed lathes often are very lacking in torque at slow speeds.

That is the one that I was looking for, but it seems like it is no
longer available. It seems like it was replaced by an indexing model.
Which leads me to ask how useful is variable speed and indexing. I
have never used a lathe, but have done a lot of wood working.

I don't use indexing, but I can address VS a bit..

I tried the Jet mini in both flavors, and as a personal thing I didn't like the
VS..
Mainly because it's basically on a dimmer switch, as far as I'm concerned, and
had some spots at some speeds that seemed very lacking in torque..

I went with the non-vs version and love it.. I've moved up twice, to a 14" jet
with "Reeves type" VS pulleys and a 16" Nova with digital VS, but still use the
mini..

I must have abused that little thing on 300 turnings or more and never even
needed a belt replacement... the damn things just keeps humming along and is a
very good lathe..

As to vs/standard, I find that speed changes are not that often, and it just
takes a minute or so to change the belt position to change speeds..
Something that I really like about the Jet mini is that you can easily adjust
belt tension, which I couldn't do on my larger Jet with VS.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 21, 12:47 pm, mac davis wrote:

I must have abused that little thing on 300 turnings or more and never even
needed a belt replacement... the damn things just keeps humming along and is a
very good lathe..

That's my experience as well. It has been thoroughly used and
tortured (not intentionally!) by me and it is still solid. I turn on
a Jet mini more than my others.

As to vs/standard, I find that speed changes are not that often, and it just
takes a minute or so to change the belt position to change speeds..

Once again, I certainly agree. I like the fact that you don't lose
the torque when changing speeds. But something that is an added bonus
for me is that when it is time to change speeds it makes me stop
leaning over the lathe and stretch out a couple of minutes. I will
stand there working on that last little bit of something for much too
long without standing up straight and stretching out a bit.

My Nova 3K is variable speed, as is my Carbatec mini. I am used to
them, but I don't miss variable speed on the Jet mini, even though as
I said I use it the most. I have to say though, it was easier making
pens on the Carbatec VS when I was in that phase and making a lot of
them at once.

Something that I really like about the Jet mini is that you can easily adjust
belt tension, which I couldn't do on my larger Jet with VS.. YMWV

A bonus to that is when you are giving a demo or teaching. Something
I learned from a demonstrator was to tighten the belt only enough to
get good traction and leave it there. That way if there is a good
catch when turning, the belt will slip and minimize the trauma. It
works!

It's like a built in safety feature.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
sam writes:

That is the one that I was looking for, but it seems like it is no
longer available. It seems like it was replaced by an indexing model.
Which leads me to ask how useful is variable speed and indexing. I
have never used a lathe, but have done a lot of wood working.

Indexing is useful if you want to replicate a non-lathe pattern around
your piece, like drill holes every 15 degrees.

Or you can use it to hold the arbor in place as you remove a chuck.

Not recommended. The pressure of removing a chuck can (and has) result in a
broken index pin.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:05:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Something that I really like about the Jet mini is that you can easily adjust
belt tension, which I couldn't do on my larger Jet with VS.. YMWV

A bonus to that is when you are giving a demo or teaching. Something
I learned from a demonstrator was to tighten the belt only enough to
get good traction and leave it there. That way if there is a good
catch when turning, the belt will slip and minimize the trauma. It
works!

It's like a built in safety feature.

Exactly... I should have mentioned that, since it's WHY I like to be able to
adjust belt tension..

Turning is a lot like war.. the less drama, the less trauma..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:51:11 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Indexing is useful if you want to replicate a non-lathe pattern around
your piece, like drill holes every 15 degrees.

Or you can use it to hold the arbor in place as you remove a chuck.

Not recommended. The pressure of removing a chuck can (and has) result in a
broken index pin.

Very good point...
It's for indexing, not a spindle lock..

And as I found out with my Jet 1442, a spindle lock is NOT good for removing a
chuck or faceplate that's being stubborn..

On my Nova, they consider it ok to use the spindle lock to put a chuck on, but
specifically say NOT to use it to take a chuck off..
(I assume because of more tightening during turning)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I just happen to have one for sale. I no longer need it as I have purchased
adapters for my General to accommodate the 1"x 8tpi of the accessories I use
on the Jet. It probably would be a good deal for someone living in the BC
lower mainland but freight would hurt persons farther away. If interested
email me.

Tom

"sam" wrote in message
news
Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 06:40:54 GMT, "Tom Storey"
wrote:

I just happen to have one for sale. I no longer need it as I have purchased
adapters for my General to accommodate the 1"x 8tpi of the accessories I use
on the Jet. It probably would be a good deal for someone living in the BC
lower mainland but freight would hurt persons farther away. If interested
email me.

Tom

How much? I live on the Olympic Peninsula Washington.

news