Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Lathe Description - Was: Jet Mini 1014 availability

In message KXw6k.6679$7A1.1854@trndny04, Nova
writes
sam wrote:
Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal?
Or
can I find a better deal?

The 1014VSI is still listed on Jet's web site. See the below link.
There's a "Where to Buy" button for the lathe.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...Cat&cat=333132

Very interesting pages, it seems obvious that the people creating them
may have limited understanding of how a lathe works

See the JWL-1236,

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...assID=333132&P
art=708352

it states

'Headstock swivels 360° with positive stops at 45° and 90° and may be
positioned anywhere along the bed ways for maximum flexibility and user
comfort'

Well assuming that model is exactly the same as my small Axminster M900,
there is no way that headstock is doing anything but going around in
circles !

The other issue I found with my variant was that the top of the too rest
was 3mm (metric) below centreline) makes it hard to do anything good
with a bowl. Surprising when I got my new lathe working, where there is
a good inch below centreline, I found my standard of bowl turning
increased 1000%. A workman can blame his tools The funny thing was
the cheaper copies of this lathe

I do wish people would get catalogues correct. The picture used by
Axminster for their M950 is rubbish

http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/p...PTCM950_xl.jpg

Take a line from Tailstock to Headstock , and you will see they had the
wrong Tailstock fitted as its a good inch below centreline..
--
John