James D. Farrow

Default Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe - Tail Stock?

Hi! Another newbie question.

I am looking at getting the Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe.

It has a 10" swing and 14" capacity between "centers".

I want to turn bowls, vases, etc...

Now, can I operate the lathe without the tail stock attached?

Or is that going to through the weight balance out and it will
want to shake, rattle and roll.

I am asking because if I can't it will result in a maximum
length of, what, maybe 6 or 8 inches for a vase. Any longer and I won't
be able to manouver the tools to hollow out the vase. Right?

Thanks,

James

Martin Rost

James,
Yes, you can use the lathe without the tail stock attached. It slides off
the end easily. You would find it very difficult to completely work on a
vase or bowl with the tail stock attached. You might want it in the
beginning while you are roughing the blank, but you'll find that at some
point it will be in your way.
Martin

"James D. Farrow" wrote in message
Hi! Another newbie question.

I am looking at getting the Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe. It has a 10" swing

and 14" capacity between "centers".
I want to turn bowls, vases, etc...
Now, can I operate the lathe without the tail stock attached?
Or is that going to through the weight balance out and it will want to

shake, rattle and roll.
I am asking because if I can't it will result in a maximum length of,

what, maybe 6 or 8 inches for a vase. Any longer and I won't be able to
manouver the tools to hollow out the vase. Right?

Thanks,
James

Xlat

Yep, as someone else said, the tailstock will come off in about 15
seconds or so. Another option, and one that might prove handy down
the road, is to get the bed extension. It's under $50.00 and might be
useful for longer things later. hth.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:33:08 -0400, "James D. Farrow"
wrote:

Hi! Another newbie question.

I am looking at getting the Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe.

It has a 10" swing and 14" capacity between "centers".

I want to turn bowls, vases, etc...

Now, can I operate the lathe without the tail stock attached?

Or is that going to through the weight balance out and it will
want to shake, rattle and roll.

I am asking because if I can't it will result in a maximum
length of, what, maybe 6 or 8 inches for a vase. Any longer and I won't
be able to manouver the tools to hollow out the vase. Right?

Thanks,

James

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!
Barry N. Turner

Yes, you can operate the lathe without the tailstock attached. But I doubt
you will be able to go much deeper than 6 or 8 inches on a vessel on the
mini.

Barry

PS Unless you are a lot better at turning than I am on my Jet mini.

"James D. Farrow" wrote in message
Hi! Another newbie question.

I am looking at getting the Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe.

It has a 10" swing and 14" capacity between "centers".

I want to turn bowls, vases, etc...

Now, can I operate the lathe without the tail stock attached?

Or is that going to through the weight balance out and it will
want to shake, rattle and roll.

I am asking because if I can't it will result in a maximum
length of, what, maybe 6 or 8 inches for a vase. Any longer and I won't
be able to manouver the tools to hollow out the vase. Right?

Thanks,

James

Arch

James, another option is an extended tail center to keep the tailstock
well away from the work. I have used two methods:

1. A pointed 3/8 in. rod held in a tailstock chuck and used as a long
narrow fixed center inside the work. (I have one with a MT2)

2. Keep a narrow center cone of the wood itself and work around it as
long as possible before snapping it off.

BTW, the Jet bed extension makes a good private parking space for the
tailstock and for a magnetic saucer to keep miscellany. Arch

Fortiter,