Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Jet Mini 1014 availability

sam wrote:

Is the Jet 1014 still available? Amazon says Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

The sanding catalog has a 1014VSI for $329. Is that a good deal? Or
can I find a better deal?

That seems to be the going price for a new one. The deal may
be that if you get it AND a chuck or other accessory, you may
get the accessory at a significant price reduction. If you
don't already have that "accessory" and will "need" it - then
the package deal can actually be a deal.

The fun and games in a purchasing decision like this is that they
- in this case JET - keep coming out with New AND Improved
models in the same price range. JET has a 10-14 model - with
a locking spindle and indexing - handy things to have - for around
$300. BUT - it doesn't have variable speed. And I suspect they
have a model in the works with the locking spindle, indexing built
in AND VS - but for another $75 to $100.

Given what's out there in the under $400 dollar range, and given
the space I have for a lathe - I'd go with the JET mini VS again.
You'll spend many multiples of the lathe price if you get even
semi-into turning.

Choose, bite the bullet and start slinging shavings all over the
place.

charlie b