Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default My life as an artist

A couple of years ago I had a small magnolia bowl that looked too
plain. I painted the outside chinese red then gold leafed it. Now I
don't know chatoyance from al fresco, but it looked real pretty to me.
But it hasn't sold. People pick it up, ooh and ahh then set it back
down and buy a plain bowl with knots and defects in it.

I should tell you, there is no museum here, so I can't even donate it.
Guess I'll just enjoy it myself.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've got a mind like a.. a.. what's
that thing called?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
A couple of years ago I had a small magnolia bowl that looked too plain.
I painted the outside chinese red then gold leafed it. Now I don't know
chatoyance from al fresco, but it looked real pretty to me.
But it hasn't sold. People pick it up, ooh and ahh then set it back down
and buy a plain bowl with knots and defects in it.

I should tell you, there is no museum here, so I can't even donate it.
Guess I'll just enjoy it myself.

Well, there's two things you can do. Lower the price. It'll sell. Or
raise the price. It'll sell.

Oddest thing - sometimes if you raise the price of something people will
think it's worth more and buy it. Go figure...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Buyers are sometimes strange. I made a small dish that I didn't like so I
used it to hold my business cards at an Open Studio event. You guessed it,
someone wanted to buy it so it sold. Another bowl that is my favorite gets
great comments but didn't sell. I used to sell lidded boxes, the kind that
pop when you open them. Well, the only way I could sell them was to sand
the lid until it no longer popped (we woodturners like that sound because
we recognize the skill it takes to create it). Seems, they didn't like
having to use both hands just to open it then set the lid down to gain
access to their ring or jewelry nestled inside. Being loose, with the box
on their dresser one hand removes the lid and the other removes the item.
Such a time saver!!

So you see, you can't always predict what people like in their
art/crafts.................Ralph

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
.. .
A couple of years ago I had a small magnolia bowl that looked too plain. I
painted the outside chinese red then gold leafed it. Now I don't know
chatoyance from al fresco, but it looked real pretty to me.
But it hasn't sold. People pick it up, ooh and ahh then set it back down
and buy a plain bowl with knots and defects in it.

I should tell you, there is no museum here, so I can't even donate it.
Guess I'll just enjoy it myself.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've got a mind like a.. a.. what's
that thing called?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald, I don't know how far down the road of woodturning you are, but
this is pretty well reviewed subject. I would like to point out some
of the highlights that have been mentioned here and on other venues to
get to the status of "artist".

- You should die. If you die tragically and suddenly, this can really
work in your favor (or in my case someone will have a lot of priceless
wood for the smoker)

- If you are not ready to fully commit and die, an injury might do the
trick as well. It is better if it isn't self inflicted, but in a
pinch that might work, too. Make sure the injury is readily visible
to all prospective clients and let them know you want no sympathy for
it. They will think you are injured AND brave. Remember, removable
casts and the like are easily detected, so don't skimp on your choice
of damage

- Feign mental illness. This is not as effective as it might scare
some off, but with some practice you can call it on and off as
needed. Mild bouts could be OK as they could be viewed as
eccentricity as long as you don't overplay your hand

- Let on that the medium of choice "spoke" to you. It sounds like an
Eastern thing, but it has its place here in the US as well. I went to
a demo once and the fellow turning wood said he never really started
turning with any ideas in his head, but as he turned, the wood told
him what to do. I was impressed as he put out some really neat
stuff. At the break, I went up and asked the wood some questions, but
it didn't want to talk to me. I think it must be important to get the
right piece of wood for good conversation

- Affect a foreign accent. When people ask you a question, look down
and speak slowly and with reverence about "the old ways they still
practice in my country". If you can make your eyes water just a
little when talking about that, it could be a bonus. Remember which
accent you are going with, and never vary while in a show. It might
be worthwhile to try different accents at different shows, tailoring
"your country" to your audience as needed. (Remember, Canada is a "no
go" on this as many have no accent at all.)

I guess the most important thing would be to not do too many of these
things at once. I don't know how many folks would be willing to buy
from a slightly crippled, deranged foreigner with a heavy accent that
talks to wood stumps. It goes without saying that being dead would
push that whole thing too far.

Good luck on your journey!

Hope to see you in the magazines soon!

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Some years back (never mind how many) I worked in a sporting goods store. We
had brought in some Converse looking running shoes that could sell for
$10.00 when Converse sold for $40.00. Could not sell a pair so I pulled them
off the shelves for 3 weeks and put them back out at $29.95. Sold like hot
cakes. Some folks just do not want a deal.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald,

Magnolia is mighty fine, but Chinese Red and Gold Leaf? ...some latter
day carpet bagga must have rode his mule & wagon thru central Jawga.

It would be easy for you to enjoy Robert's great post and just ROTFL.
Don't do that. I know Robert and you are not Robert so please consider
his authoritative advice seriously and follow it closely, except you
might want to omit promoting yourself in the obit section of the "Macon
Telegraph". Follow his advice and you will join that special group of
rcw artists of his caliber.
We all look forward to you joining us.

Don't know if you are a native, but by now you probably have a drawl
anyway. I tried to cheat on Robert's Rules of Art and use my cracker
accent as a hint that I'm of foreign extraction. Didn't work. My
"y'alls" & "ya heah now's" just reinforced the common ideah that all us
Southerners are stupid. I jus hope this here post does a lil somepin to
hush up this here po attitude.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Some of what I consider my best turnings have been hard to sell. At
least for the prices that I thought they should. Like you said,
people pick them up and say "this is really cool" and then they put
them down and don't buy.

Over the past couple of years I have had several individuals tell me
that I was attending and selling my turnings in the wrong places. I
have traditionally chosen craft fairs or arts and crafts rather than
art shows.

This past year I tried a higher end show. The people attending this
show ignored the turnings that I would usually sell at a craft show
and devoured my other turnings. It was an eye opener for me.

This year I am planning on attending more art shows. People come to
art shows specifically to find and purchase the unusual. Also, I will
not be in competition with candles, pot holders, bird houses and
homemade soap

Make sure you are choosing your intended buyers carefully.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

On Mar 20, 9:38 am, (Arch) wrote:
[...]

I hear ya Arch. I was agonna go over yonder and do that to, you know
what Robert said and all, but the crick was to full and the holler was
to deep.

JD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:13:08 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Some years back (never mind how many) I worked in a sporting goods store. We
had brought in some Converse looking running shoes that could sell for
$10.00 when Converse sold for $40.00. Could not sell a pair so I pulled them
off the shelves for 3 weeks and put them back out at $29.95. Sold like hot
cakes. Some folks just do not want a deal.

I think your example defines the fine line between CHEAP and INEXPENSIVE...
People want a deal, but also want to feel like they got what they paid for....
It's a strange concept, but a lot of folks will buy those less expensive shoes
instead of the same ones at a lower price because the savings are $10 but the
$30 price implies "quality" to them..
The more I study marketing and behavior, the stranger I find the human
brain..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:44:11 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

A couple of years ago I had a small magnolia bowl that looked too
plain. I painted the outside chinese red then gold leafed it. Now I
don't know chatoyance from al fresco, but it looked real pretty to me.
But it hasn't sold. People pick it up, ooh and ahh then set it back
down and buy a plain bowl with knots and defects in it.

I should tell you, there is no museum here, so I can't even donate it.
Guess I'll just enjoy it myself.

Probably too "artsy" for your market, Gerald..

Some folks buy "art", most buy "pretty" or "feels good"...

In a market like mine, where there are home decorators coming around, you just
never know what's going to sell that day, so you bring high, low and middle
price stuff and see who's biting that day...

If all else fails, give that bowl to a special friend or family member that you
think would get enjoyment from it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
Hi Gerald,

Magnolia is mighty fine, but Chinese Red and Gold Leaf? ...some latter
day carpet bagga must have rode his mule & wagon thru central Jawga.

It would be easy for you to enjoy Robert's great post and just ROTFL.
Don't do that. I know Robert and you are not Robert so please consider
his authoritative advice seriously and follow it closely, except you
might want to omit promoting yourself in the obit section of the "Macon
Telegraph".

Thanks for the good (?) advice. BTW it is no longer the "Macon
Telegraph". They left off the "Macon" some time back.

Follow his advice and you will join that special group of
rcw artists of his caliber.
We all look forward to you joining us.

Don't know if you are a native, but by now you probably have a drawl
anyway.

Yep. Born less than 10 miles from here. Lost a couple of ancestors
fighting the Yankees. Our original Ross came to Berien county, GA in
the late 1700's. From Scotland. We may be related.

I tried to cheat on Robert's Rules of Art and use my cracker
accent as a hint that I'm of foreign extraction. Didn't work. My
"y'alls" & "ya heah now's" just reinforced the common ideah that all us
Southerners are stupid. I jus hope this here post does a lil somepin to
hush up this here po attitude.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've never not had any money so much
in my life.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ted wrote:
[...]

Not much choice around here. My intended buyers are those with some money.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've never not had any money so much
in my life.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 21, 2:56 am, charlieb wrote:

This one's going in the Great Tales folder of keepers.

I appreciate it, Charlie. I was laughing hard when I wrote it.
Rereading it, after I read the last paragraph I was left thinking,
"didn't I see that same weird guy at our last club meeting...?"

Robert