Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_3_] mac davis[_3_] is offline

Default My life as an artist

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:44:11 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

A couple of years ago I had a small magnolia bowl that looked too
plain. I painted the outside chinese red then gold leafed it. Now I
don't know chatoyance from al fresco, but it looked real pretty to me.
But it hasn't sold. People pick it up, ooh and ahh then set it back
down and buy a plain bowl with knots and defects in it.

I should tell you, there is no museum here, so I can't even donate it.
Guess I'll just enjoy it myself.

Probably too "artsy" for your market, Gerald..

Some folks buy "art", most buy "pretty" or "feels good"...

In a market like mine, where there are home decorators coming around, you just
never know what's going to sell that day, so you bring high, low and middle
price stuff and see who's biting that day...

If all else fails, give that bowl to a special friend or family member that you
think would get enjoyment from it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing