Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default My life as an artist

Some years back (never mind how many) I worked in a sporting goods store. We
had brought in some Converse looking running shoes that could sell for
$10.00 when Converse sold for $40.00. Could not sell a pair so I pulled them
off the shelves for 3 weeks and put them back out at $29.95. Sold like hot
cakes. Some folks just do not want a deal.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
wrote in message
Gerald, I don't know how far down the road of woodturning you are, but
this is pretty well reviewed subject. I would like to point out some
of the highlights that have been mentioned here and on other venues to
get to the status of "artist".

- You should die. If you die tragically and suddenly, this can really
work in your favor (or in my case someone will have a lot of priceless
wood for the smoker)

- If you are not ready to fully commit and die, an injury might do the
trick as well. It is better if it isn't self inflicted, but in a
pinch that might work, too. Make sure the injury is readily visible
to all prospective clients and let them know you want no sympathy for
it. They will think you are injured AND brave. Remember, removable
casts and the like are easily detected, so don't skimp on your choice
of damage

- Feign mental illness. This is not as effective as it might scare
some off, but with some practice you can call it on and off as
needed. Mild bouts could be OK as they could be viewed as
eccentricity as long as you don't overplay your hand

- Let on that the medium of choice "spoke" to you. It sounds like an
Eastern thing, but it has its place here in the US as well. I went to
a demo once and the fellow turning wood said he never really started
turning with any ideas in his head, but as he turned, the wood told
him what to do. I was impressed as he put out some really neat
stuff. At the break, I went up and asked the wood some questions, but
it didn't want to talk to me. I think it must be important to get the
right piece of wood for good conversation

- Affect a foreign accent. When people ask you a question, look down
and speak slowly and with reverence about "the old ways they still
practice in my country". If you can make your eyes water just a
little when talking about that, it could be a bonus. Remember which
accent you are going with, and never vary while in a show. It might
be worthwhile to try different accents at different shows, tailoring
"your country" to your audience as needed. (Remember, Canada is a "no
go" on this as many have no accent at all.)

I guess the most important thing would be to not do too many of these
things at once. I don't know how many folks would be willing to buy
from a slightly crippled, deranged foreigner with a heavy accent that
talks to wood stumps. It goes without saying that being dead would
push that whole thing too far.

Good luck on your journey!

Hope to see you in the magazines soon!

Robert