Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Comcast Newsgroups Comcast Newsgroups is offline

Default My life as an artist

Buyers are sometimes strange. I made a small dish that I didn't like so I
used it to hold my business cards at an Open Studio event. You guessed it,
someone wanted to buy it so it sold. Another bowl that is my favorite gets
great comments but didn't sell. I used to sell lidded boxes, the kind that
pop when you open them. Well, the only way I could sell them was to sand
the lid until it no longer popped (we woodturners like that sound because
we recognize the skill it takes to create it). Seems, they didn't like
having to use both hands just to open it then set the lid down to gain
access to their ring or jewelry nestled inside. Being loose, with the box
on their dresser one hand removes the lid and the other removes the item.
Such a time saver!!

So you see, you can't always predict what people like in their
art/crafts.................Ralph

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
.. .
A couple of years ago I had a small magnolia bowl that looked too plain. I
painted the outside chinese red then gold leafed it. Now I don't know
chatoyance from al fresco, but it looked real pretty to me.
But it hasn't sold. People pick it up, ooh and ahh then set it back down
and buy a plain bowl with knots and defects in it.

I should tell you, there is no museum here, so I can't even donate it.
Guess I'll just enjoy it myself.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA