Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Wooden Spoon - offset turning

We had a discussion going a short while back on offset turning or eccentric
turning. I just had one of those "hit yourself ont he head and say duh"
moments. A friend wanted some wooden spoons and the handle and bowl need to
be offset from one another. It is a simple and easy project and great skew
practice. I put up a http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
project page but it will be a while before I have the video ready.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
We had a discussion going a short while back on offset turning or
eccentric turning. I just had one of those "hit yourself ont he head and
say duh" moments. A friend wanted some wooden spoons and the handle and
bowl need to be offset from one another. It is a simple and easy project
and great skew practice. I put up a
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
project page but it will be a while before I have the video ready.

I've done them that way, but prefer to carve and shape green wood to any
shape that strikes my fancy. It is a good way of making things symmetrical,
if that's what you're after. About the only things I do regularly any more
are the paddle/fork salad sets.

These are a good place to use a small cup center. The 60 degree point is
just asking for trouble.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
there is actually part 2 and 3 and the carving part to come. Just keep
hitting "next" at the bottom of the pages.

--

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Darrell,
Is there a Part 2?
TomNie

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
We had a discussion going a short while back on offset turning or
eccentric turning. I just had one of those "hit yourself ont he head and
say duh" moments. A friend wanted some wooden spoons and the handle and
bowl need to be offset from one another. It is a simple and easy project
and great skew practice. I put up a
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
project page but it will be a while before I have the video ready.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George
true for the carving green wood, but this is a neat way for offset turning
and the symmetry is fun. Besides, one of the guys I know is spoon carver and
this keeps our customers separate so I do not compete with a friend on his
major business. People who want a carved spoon do not tend to want the
turned ones and vice versa. Or else they want both and no problem.
I agree about the cup center but I do not have a small one and I find the
washer does the same job for me. The point holds things in place and the
washer prevents a dig and split.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
We had a discussion going a short while back on offset turning or
eccentric turning. I just had one of those "hit yourself ont he head and
say duh" moments. A friend wanted some wooden spoons and the handle and
bowl need to be offset from one another. It is a simple and easy project
and great skew practice. I put up a
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
project page but it will be a while before I have the video ready.

I've done them that way, but prefer to carve and shape green wood to any
shape that strikes my fancy. It is a good way of making things
symmetrical, if that's what you're after. About the only things I do
regularly any more are the paddle/fork salad sets.

These are a good place to use a small cup center. The 60 degree point is
just asking for trouble.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" writes:

We had a discussion going a short while back on offset turning or eccentric
turning. I just had one of those "hit yourself ont he head and say duh"
moments. A friend wanted some wooden spoons and the handle and bowl need to
be offset from one another. It is a simple and easy project and great skew
practice. I put up a http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
project page but it will be a while before I have the video ready.

I think one of the Mike Darlow books describes how to make a spoon on
a Lathe.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Maxwell
I have to get his books one of these days. I am a sucker for lathe books
whether I know the stuff or not. There is always something new to learn. It
would not surprise me if Darlow had such a project in his books, people have
been turning spoons a long time. One of the standard turnings in historic
Sherbrooke Village is spoons because the turners can then sit and carve the
bowls while talking to the tourists. Thye turn them the same way they did in
the 18th century and likely before.

--

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"Darrell Feltmate" writes:

We had a discussion going a short while back on offset turning or
eccentric
turning. I just had one of those "hit yourself ont he head and say duh"
moments. A friend wanted some wooden spoons and the handle and bowl need
be offset from one another. It is a simple and easy project and great
skew
practice. I put up a http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
project page but it will be a while before I have the video ready.

I think one of the Mike Darlow books describes how to make a spoon on
a Lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

I agree about the cup center but I do not have a small one and I find the
washer does the same job for me. The point holds things in place and the
washer prevents a dig and split.

Darrell,
I (basically) followed your instructions and turned my first one last
night. I grabbed a slab (bowl blank) about 4" thick that looked, at
first, like maple from my woodpile. I now think it more likely to be box
elder. I cut it on the bandsaw to 1 1/4" thick slices and traced around
a large metal spoon I use a lot for a rough pattern and bandsawed it
out, more or less. Then I put it between centers and turned it
completely. Unfortunately, an unnoticed check at the handle end split
off my finishing touches on that end (I can't seem to find my thin
parting tool and decided to use the larger one instead of making things
skinny with the skew and sanding the nib off).

I had a Oneway live center with the small cup in the tailstock and
things worked out fine.

I DO need to get a ball mill for my Dremel-knock-off to make the
hollowing go faster.

What is the ballpark pricing for something like this?

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000767-3, 08/21/2007
Tested on: 8/22/2007 12:39:09 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill
Good question about pricing. I only turn these under duress because of the
hollowing and sanding :-) For a price I get $10.00 and a quart of mustard
beans each. Good mustard beans too!

--

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Darrell Feltmate wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Bill
Good question about pricing. I only turn these under duress because of the
hollowing and sanding :-) For a price I get $10.00 and a quart of mustard
beans each. Good mustard beans too!

I have a little flap sander that should get in there and do most of the
tedious stuff for me.

But then again, Murphy was an optimist too.

As for the beans ... well, my schedule all summer has been pretty well
stuffed ... so my garden is pretty much 'stuffed', too. Maybe I should
barter for some beans, eh?

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000767-3, 08/21/2007
Tested on: 8/22/2007 12:15:56 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ok, I'll bite - what the heck is a mustard bean? Google gives me lots of
recipies but doesn't tell me what it is - I know fava beans, soy beans,
massour, tavour, urid and several other kinds of dahl (aka lentils),
chickpea, pea, and even jelly beans, but not mustard beans

Bill
Good question about pricing. I only turn these under duress because of the
hollowing and sanding :-) For a price I get $10.00 and a quart of mustard
beans each. Good mustard beans too!

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Not know mustard beans? (gets poke in the ribs with elbow. "He must be from
the city :-)") Mustard beans are like dilly beans only witha mustartd
sauce. Realizing that this does not likely help, let me try again. Mustard
beans are typical snap or string beans pickled in a mustard sauce. My
grandmothers made fantastic mustard beans every year, being farmers, and mom
was great at them. Mrs B, for whom I make the spoons is about as good
although a touch different. Everyone brings a sublety to the kitchen and
mine are not up to either of the ladies'. Considering, tiny little fellow
that I am, that I can east a quart at a sitting, this is good turning trade
for me :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

.. .

SPOON J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 05:38 AM
SPOON J T Woodworking 0 February 17th 07 09:23 PM
What wood for spoon? Toller Woodworking 13 December 10th 06 03:21 AM
Chainsawed through a spoon! dean Home Repair 8 October 20th 05 01:10 AM
Creating a wooden spoon. Mike Rinken Woodturning 10 January 7th 05 06:51 AM