Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Wooden Spoon - offset turning

Bill
Good question about pricing. I only turn these under duress because of the
hollowing and sanding :-) For a price I get $10.00 and a quart of mustard
beans each. Good mustard beans too!

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Darrell Feltmate wrote:

I agree about the cup center but I do not have a small one and I find the
washer does the same job for me. The point holds things in place and the
washer prevents a dig and split.

Darrell,
I (basically) followed your instructions and turned my first one last
night. I grabbed a slab (bowl blank) about 4" thick that looked, at first,
like maple from my woodpile. I now think it more likely to be box elder. I
cut it on the bandsaw to 1 1/4" thick slices and traced around a large
metal spoon I use a lot for a rough pattern and bandsawed it out, more or
less. Then I put it between centers and turned it completely.
Unfortunately, an unnoticed check at the handle end split off my finishing
touches on that end (I can't seem to find my thin parting tool and decided
to use the larger one instead of making things skinny with the skew and
sanding the nib off).

I had a Oneway live center with the small cup in the tailstock and things
worked out fine.

I DO need to get a ball mill for my Dremel-knock-off to make the hollowing
go faster.

What is the ballpark pricing for something like this?

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000767-3, 08/21/2007
Tested on: 8/22/2007 12:39:09 AM