Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Which Tool?

Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

I'm guessing someone, somewhere, has a web page that addresses differnt
tool profiles and their intended uses. Or, perhaps better, different
finished turnings, and the tools that were used. Either way would be
helpful.

Any ideas?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe!
Hal

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

I'm guessing someone, somewhere, has a web page that addresses differnt
tool profiles and their intended uses. Or, perhaps better, different
finished turnings, and the tools that were used. Either way would be
helpful.

Any ideas?

Hi Hal,

Why no try this:
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/...o/wtintro.html
Was and is very useful to me.
--
Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hal
No but I am working on something like it. It is not the first time the
question has been raised.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

I'm guessing someone, somewhere, has a web page that addresses differnt
tool profiles and their intended uses. Or, perhaps better, different
finished turnings, and the tools that were used. Either way would be
helpful.

Any ideas?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe!
Hal

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good morning,

My son rounded up a two CD set from Sorby, which of course advertised their
tools. It included short videos of how to use each. Of course they had
their best craftsman doing it, and it looked SO easy. But it's a good
introduction, by the people who make 'em.

It was still available 6 months ago, don't know if it is now, but not too
hard to check.

Old Guy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

I'm guessing someone, somewhere, has a web page that addresses differnt
tool profiles and their intended uses. Or, perhaps better, different
finished turnings, and the tools that were used. Either way would be
helpful.

Any ideas?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe!
Hal

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
writes:
Let me add to this. Every tool set that "comes free with the lathe" has a
V-pointed tool that is beveled on the bottom.

Does this tool have a name?
Does anyone use it?

and if not, why is it always included?
Is this an urban myth tool?

It's called a spear point
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000FVE...438433-8048134

You can use it as a scraper to do what a bruzze was designed to do, as an
extremely catchy skew, or grind it straight across and with a long bevel to
make a splendid bead cutter and surface planer.

I'd guess it's there for the same reason they include other scraping tools.
Easier to scrape than cut for new folks.