DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which Tool? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/188266-tool.html)

[email protected] January 6th 07 06:12 AM

Which Tool?

Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

I'm guessing someone, somewhere, has a web page that addresses differnt
tool profiles and their intended uses. Or, perhaps better, different
finished turnings, and the tools that were used. Either way would be
helpful.

Any ideas?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe!
Hal

Gerard January 6th 07 08:47 AM

Which Tool?

" wrote:

Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

I'm guessing someone, somewhere, has a web page that addresses differnt
tool profiles and their intended uses. Or, perhaps better, different
finished turnings, and the tools that were used. Either way would be
helpful.

Any ideas?

Hi Hal,

Why no try this:
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/...o/wtintro.html
Was and is very useful to me.
--
Gerard

Darrell Feltmate January 6th 07 12:45 PM

Which Tool?

Hal
No but I am working on something like it. It is not the first time the
question has been raised.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

oups.com...

Bruce Barnett January 6th 07 01:10 PM

Which Tool?

writes:

Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

Let me add to this. Every tool set that "comes free with the lathe" has a
V-pointed tool that is beveled on the bottom.

Does this tool have a name?
Does anyone use it?

and if not, why is it always included?
Is this an urban myth tool?

Old guy January 6th 07 01:26 PM

Which Tool?

Good morning,

My son rounded up a two CD set from Sorby, which of course advertised their
tools. It included short videos of how to use each. Of course they had
their best craftsman doing it, and it looked SO easy. But it's a good
introduction, by the people who make 'em.

It was still available 6 months ago, don't know if it is now, but not too
hard to check.

Old Guy

George January 6th 07 02:10 PM

Which Tool?

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
writes:
Let me add to this. Every tool set that "comes free with the lathe" has a
V-pointed tool that is beveled on the bottom.

Does this tool have a name?
Does anyone use it?

and if not, why is it always included?
Is this an urban myth tool?

It's called a spear point
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000FVE...438433-8048134

You can use it as a scraper to do what a bruzze was designed to do, as an
extremely catchy skew, or grind it straight across and with a long bevel to
make a splendid bead cutter and surface planer.

I'd guess it's there for the same reason they include other scraping tools.
Easier to scrape than cut for new folks.

Gerald Ross January 6th 07 05:45 PM

Which Tool?

Bruce Barnett wrote:
writes:

Greetings!
While I have a reasonable grasp of which tools (roughing gouge,
spindle gougle, skew, etc) are used for what - I have seen a few tools
that I can't quite figure out.

Let me add to this. Every tool set that "comes free with the lathe" has a
V-pointed tool that is beveled on the bottom.

Does this tool have a name?
Does anyone use it?

and if not, why is it always included?

So you can use it to make a scraper of your own
design. I made a curved scraper for bowls, and an angled one for inside
boxes.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Alzheimer's advantage: New friends
every day.

[email protected] January 7th 07 04:23 AM

Which Tool?

Hi Hal

Hal where better to look than by the makers of those tools, they will
like you to need more "have to have" tools for all those cuts you could
not make without them, ;-)))

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/instructions.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo