Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Best Lathe Video

Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote in news:1161654259.451953.29420
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Welcome Rob,
I've been turning for fifty-two years and bought Richard Raffan's Turning
Wood video and the book of the same title. I should mention that I took a
fifty year break in my fifty-two tears of turning. I got back into turning
because I had contacted restoration job that involved restoring 10 columns
(a semi circular porch). The column bases and the upper and lower capitals
had to be replaced due to rot. I tried to find a turner that would be able
to turn the capitals that summer and was unsuccessful. Since I had been a
pretty good turner in school and think I can do anything, I bought a lathe
(Jet mini, the lager diameter capitals were nine and a half inches) and a
set of Sears lathe tools. The capitals were pretty simple to turn; two
beads and a cove or two. Now I was hooked and I was also sixty-two (I lied,
sixty-three). Memory is a great thing, but using the skew made me think I
had forgotten something and being I had only turned spindles in school, I
thought a book and/or a video might be prudent. I can re-discover the wheel
as good as anybody. I don't know anyone that is better at learning from the
'School of Hard Knocks' better than I, but I didn't want to spend the time
learning to walk (never mind staunching the flow of blood) at my age. Mr.
Raffan's tutorials brought back the basics and I recommend his video and
book. I also have a book on basic turning by Keith Rowely that I think is
very good. One only reinforces the other. Either by itself is more than
adequate.
Enjoy the lathe,
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message

Unplug Your TV & VCR/DVD. Put them in boxes, tape up the boxes, put them
in the attic/basement, or on craigslist/ebay.

Plug in a lathe, grab some wood, turn.

That is your "best lathe video" as far as I'm concerned. You'll learn a
lot more making shavings than watching someone else make shavings.

Think safety and do what Lawrence says. Safe involves staying out of the
path of ejecta, even if you think you have the piece sturdily mounted.

Safe means keeping the toolrest close in so you don't give leverage to the
wood, but keep it on your side.

Safe means paying attention to the wood. It'll teach you. The best cut is
the one that takes the least effort from you, because there's equal and
opposite involved too. When the shavings flow, not fly, you're on target.

I'd stay with the web for "tips" and styles, but there's little out there
on theory, save perhaps _The Practical Woodturner_ by Frank Pain. It's the
book I own. Tells you about the various tools and the way to apply them to
the wood. Theory, you supply the practice.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message

[...]

This was a good portion and well written theory, I learned a lot of it:
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/...o/wtintro.html

--
Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerard" wrote in message
This was a good portion and well written theory, I learned a lot of it:
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/...o/wtintro.html

Absolutely, and it was in my bookmarks. Don't know why I didn't think to
cite it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Rob,

I bought Richard Raffens, books and videos when I first started. He is
a production turner, and is a marvel to watch. Woodcraft sells his
books and videos. Check out
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/sear...?query=richard.

Also, Nick Cook is a good resource. His web site is
http://www.nickcookwoodturner.com/.

I agree with the other responses, and that is, you won't really learn
until you put the metal to the wood. Use the DVDs and books as a
reference while you are turning. I put a combo 10 inch vcr/dvd player
in place so I can refer to it while I am turning. Remember, every
turner has his/hers own technique. Do not try to turn like someone
else, but learn from them and apply it to your style.

Art

wrote:
Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Bill Grumbine has 2 very good bowl turning videos out. Richard Raffen
is also very good on a lot of other turning tecniques. Which video you
get should be aimed towards what you are going to turn. For me, I will
use any excuse to go to the lathe and turn. Try to find a near by club
and attend meetings. It has been my biggest learning experience in my 9
years of turning. You can see things being done, and ask questions.
robo hippy

wrote:
Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

"Gerard" wrote in message
This was a good portion and well written theory, I learned a lot of it:
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/...o/wtintro.html

Absolutely, and it was in my bookmarks. Don't know why I didn't think to
cite it.

Your previous answer made me think of it, so it's all cooperation;-)

--
Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Do not forget this group as well. There is a wealth of information here.
Still I must agree, practice, practice, practice. It may not make perfect
but it will make great kindling, and it will make you a much better turner.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Screw the videos, I'd like to hear how you wound up with a free lathe.

B.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote in message

Think safety and do what Lawrence says. Safe involves staying out of the
path of ejecta, even if you think you have the piece sturdily mounted.

Safe means keeping the toolrest close in so you don't give leverage to the
wood, but keep it on your side.

Safe means paying attention to the wood. It'll teach you. The best cut
is the one that takes the least effort from you, because there's equal and
opposite involved too. When the shavings flow, not fly, you're on target.

Safe also means wearing wearing some eye protection at least and a face
sheild better. Sometimes you can't stay out of the path. Just came
upstairs from another reminder of that lesson. First lesson I learned when
I drew blood. This time I just flinched back when a piece broke off and it
hit the face shield. No blood, no swollen facial parts, no redness.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

I coach high school football and one of the other coaches makes
baseball bats. He has switched to an automated system. I simply used
my overflowing charm to convince him that I wasn't going to make bats
in competition with him. He had an extra lathe so he agreed I could
have it for a year and see what happens. Its not quite a full gloat
but sometimes a tool loaned out for a year can be forgotten. (Or I
will pay for it.)

Buddy Matlosz wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Screw the videos, I'd like to hear how you wound up with a free lathe.

B.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

I coach high school football and one of the other coaches makes
baseball bats. He has switched to an automated system. I simply used
my overflowing charm to convince him that I wasn't going to make bats
in competition with him. He had an extra lathe so he agreed I could
have it for a year and see what happens. Its not quite a full gloat
but sometimes a tool loaned out for a year can be forgotten. (Or I
will pay for it.)

PS I did pay the price for it though, our team got it a** kicked for
most of the year (but did win their first playoff game tonight!)

Buddy Matlosz wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Screw the videos, I'd like to hear how you wound up with a free lathe.

B.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Its not quite a full gloat
but sometimes a tool loaned out for a year can be forgotten.

Sounds like every one I've ever loaned out, that's for sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Hello Rob,

To toot my own horn a wee bit... I have an excellent DVD video on Turning
Writing Pens (70 mins) and a two disk DVD set on Bowl Turning (140 mins)
that have been very well received by wood turners around the world. Both
have received excellent reviews. If you would like detailed information, I
will be happy to email you. The bowl turning video set is available at Craft
Supplies USA at www.woodturnerscatalog.com

We will also have our own website up in the next few days where all of our
educational products can be ordered on a secure server. If you have any
questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Also, please let me know if
you get stuck on something, or need some assistance. I have always offered
to assist wood turners with any woodturning questions they have... When
you're getting started, you always have lots of questions and I'm happy to
help in any way. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

On 10/23/06 8:44 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Rob I agree with practice, practice, practice and with the other
posters about lathe safety etc. but no one mentioned that a good
source of information can be obtained from your local Library and the
cost is very affordable (free) this is where I found lots of
information. just my 2 cents.
Hope that you enjoy turning it is a great way to work with wood and
other medium.
Cheers Dave
On 23 Oct 2006 18:44:19 -0700, wrote:

Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the help everyone..... Problem solved...... My wife (who
is in med school) was dissecting a cadaver with a retired surgeon and
after a conversation with him about his free time he mentioned that he
was a turner. Of course, she had heard repeatedly about the free lathe
and told him I was just starting. He told her that he was in the local
wood turners club and invited me to come along.

Things are looking up! Thanks Again
Rob

Top 10 Smoking Guns that Show the Government's 911 Story is a Hoax janjust Home Repair 10 September 12th 06 01:25 AM
Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2) [email protected] Metalworking 22 March 4th 06 04:47 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM
Technics SA-DX1050 A/V Receiver: Intermittent video hecubus Electronics Repair 4 April 17th 04 10:20 PM
video producer seeking home inspection company to produce how-to video David Welch Home Ownership 0 February 5th 04 11:03 PM