Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Desert Rat Desert Rat is offline

Default Best Lathe Video

Rob,

I bought Richard Raffens, books and videos when I first started. He is
a production turner, and is a marvel to watch. Woodcraft sells his
books and videos. Check out
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/sear...?query=richard.

Also, Nick Cook is a good resource. His web site is
http://www.nickcookwoodturner.com/.

I agree with the other responses, and that is, you won't really learn
until you put the metal to the wood. Use the DVDs and books as a
reference while you are turning. I put a combo 10 inch vcr/dvd player
in place so I can refer to it while I am turning. Remember, every
turner has his/hers own technique. Do not try to turn like someone
else, but learn from them and apply it to your style.

Art

wrote:
Hey,
I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a
total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to
turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any
videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob