Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Scratch Ankle Scratch Ankle is offline

Default Best Lathe Video

"George" wrote in message

Think safety and do what Lawrence says. Safe involves staying out of the
path of ejecta, even if you think you have the piece sturdily mounted.

Safe means keeping the toolrest close in so you don't give leverage to the
wood, but keep it on your side.

Safe means paying attention to the wood. It'll teach you. The best cut
is the one that takes the least effort from you, because there's equal and
opposite involved too. When the shavings flow, not fly, you're on target.

Safe also means wearing wearing some eye protection at least and a face
sheild better. Sometimes you can't stay out of the path. Just came
upstairs from another reminder of that lesson. First lesson I learned when
I drew blood. This time I just flinched back when a piece broke off and it
hit the face shield. No blood, no swollen facial parts, no redness.