Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk
Red face Mineral oil

On Darrell Feltmate's web site he uses a mixture of veg oil and mineral oil. which he dips food safe items in ( please no lectures on food safe) Can you tell me what constitutes mineral oil, i assume its not car oil.
I'm in the process of making a ringed rattle and egg cup for my neices 1st birthday. Hopefully earning a few brownie points with my sis.
Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mineral oil

"Woodborg" wrote: (clip) Can you tell me what constitutes mineral oil, i
assume its not car oil.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Car oil is not food safe, of course. It is "mineral" oil, since it comes
out of the ground, but with lots of additives. What you want is also from
the oilfields, but highly purified--available in drug stores, commonly used
as a laxative.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Woodborg" wrote: (clip) Can you tell me what constitutes mineral oil, i
assume its not car oil.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Car oil is not food safe, of course. It is "mineral" oil, since it comes
out of the ground, but with lots of additives. What you want is also from
the oilfields, but highly purified--available in drug stores, commonly used
as a laxative.

Agree with Leo. It is just a HIGHLY purified petroleum product, much
in the way vasoline (although certainly not the same) is - specially
processed for a specific purpose.

When I made my nephew a baby rattle out of maple I used a warm mineral
oil bath and left it in for day, then dried it off and let it sit for a
couple of weeks before delivery.

Still looks the way it did (plus some really aggressive chew marks)
when I gave to him.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
ups.com...
Agree with Leo. It is just a HIGHLY purified petroleum product, much
in the way vasoline (although certainly not the same) is - specially
processed for a specific purpose.

When I made my nephew a baby rattle out of maple I used a warm mineral
oil bath and left it in for day, then dried it off and let it sit for a
couple of weeks before delivery.

Still looks the way it did (plus some really aggressive chew marks)
when I gave to him.

Of course, since it never cures, it picks up whatever dissolves in the
grease of your hands and grabs dust and crud like the "swiffer" rags.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George wrote:

Of course, since it never cures, it picks up whatever dissolves in the
grease of your hands and grabs dust and crud like the "swiffer" rags.

Its OK, George, really.

At the time he played with his rattle, he crawled around on the floor,
played in the dirt, never wiped his own ass, crapped in his pants, and
NEVER, EVER washed his hands.

He was also known to manually inspect the family dog's equipment, put
any available toy he was playing with in his mouth from time (no matter
where it had been), and if left his own devices, turn the garbage over
in the kitchen.

And yet... like so many.... he is just fine.

Others I have made the rattles for have had similar experiences.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Doug Payne wrote:

Reminds me of long-ago camping trips with my babies. The "ring around
the mouth" was a sight to behold. They ate more dirt than food.

I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of the chair when I read that. My
nephew would try out different delicacies when we were picnicing
(heaven forbid a truly tasty item like a potato chip would fall into
the dirt) and was truly puzzled at all the hubub when he was caught
with the "ring around the mouth".

Robert

Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk

Can any one name some of these HIGHLY purified petroleum product please
mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Woodborg
I just go to the grocery store or local pharmace and buy mineral oil.
Actually, if I want a lot of it I go to the veterinary horse supply area at
the local co-op and get a galon. It is cheaper. If you do not mind the
smell, with a bit of perfume added, it is marketed as baby oil.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

--
Woodborg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Woodborg" wrote in message

Can any one name some of these HIGHLY purified petroleum product please
mark

Not sure of your question, but if you are speaking of mineral oil, go to
Wally world or any other place with an OTC medical section and get USP
mineral oil under any of the brand names available. Note that it's not
"food safe," because it gives you the runs. It's medicine.

As I indicated earlier it's not a finish, and as a temporary coating it
leaves much to be desired, collecting and protecting dirt and sheltering
bacteria as it does. Oil which does not cure but does eventually evaporate
is pretty much an exercise in feel good rather than finish. What's even
stranger than the finish fiction are the folks that use it on cutting
boards, where it's quickly emulsified and washed down the drain with
detergent, forcing them to "renew" it periodically. Why bother? Of
course, a dry board is easier to sanitize, so perhaps it's a good thing to
get rid of the oil regularly.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:06:54 GMT, "George" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Agree with Leo. It is just a HIGHLY purified petroleum product, much
in the way vasoline (although certainly not the same) is - specially
processed for a specific purpose.

When I made my nephew a baby rattle out of maple I used a warm mineral
oil bath and left it in for day, then dried it off and let it sit for a
couple of weeks before delivery.

Still looks the way it did (plus some really aggressive chew marks)
when I gave to him.

Of course, since it never cures, it picks up whatever dissolves in the
grease of your hands and grabs dust and crud like the "swiffer" rags.

for sure... I went through a period of using Mineral Oil (baby oil without the
added scent) for wet sanding...

I worked well and buffed ok, but NEVER stopped attracting dust and feeling
gummy... yuk!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:15:19 +0100, Woodborg
wrote:

Can any one name some of these HIGHLY purified petroleum product please
mark

WalMart just calls it "Mineral Oil".. in the laxative section, so when you buy 2
or 3 pint bottles they look really sympathetic...

I think it's called liquid parrifin in the UK...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Robert, Hope you are putting aside your cut offs and tools you never
use for your nephew. He is a natural born woodturner. Perhaps he was a
little too taken up with cleanliness as a baby, but he'll lose that with
age.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Town Talk Orage Wax

I haven't yet used this myself on something for a child, but it works
great on other food stuff items and is non-toxic. I have heard all
good things from others that have used it.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=408-0200

I really love lot sof things this place has to offer...
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

`Casper

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I was using a mix of 1/2 mineral oil, and 1/2 walnut oil, and then
would take a stick of bees wax to it after the oil soaked in. This
summer I switched to Mike Mahoney's oil and wax mix, and really like it
a lot better than my old mix.
robo hippy
Casper wrote:
Town Talk Orage Wax

I haven't yet used this myself on something for a child, but it works
great on other food stuff items and is non-toxic. I have heard all
good things from others that have used it.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=408-0200

I really love lot sof things this place has to offer...
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

`Casper

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was using a mix of 1/2 mineral oil, and 1/2 walnut oil, and then
would take a stick of bees wax to it after the oil soaked in. This
summer I switched to Mike Mahoney's oil and wax mix, and really like it
a lot better than my old mix.

Might want to think twice about the beeswax, even if highly purified.
http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/safety/40610.html

Lots of folks will jump in with the "dangers" of nut oils, but not many will
think of this.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote: Might want to think twice about the beeswax, even if
highly purified. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think there is too much to worry about. The reference refers to a
fairly rare toxicity of honey to infants less than one year old. Beeswax in
the fibres of a wooden bowl would be injested in microscopic amounts at
most. Further, there is nothing to indicate that the bacteria would be
present in the wax, or survive in the wax if they ever were present.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Darrell Feltmate's web site he uses a mixture of veg oil and mineral
oil. which he dips food safe items in ( please no lectures on food
safe) Can you tell me what constitutes mineral oil, i assume its not
car oil.
I'm in the process of making a ringed rattle and egg cup for my neices
1st birthday. Hopefully earning a few brownie points with my sis.
Mark

Use the stuff you buy at a drugstore. It will say USDA or some such marking to
indicate it is safe to ingest. This is the most common oil used on countertops
and cutting boards. Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
Hey Robert, Hope you are putting aside your cut offs and tools you never
use for your nephew. He is a natural born woodturner. Perhaps he was a
little too taken up with cleanliness as a baby, but he'll lose that with
age.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

You bet I save the stuff for him. He just turned 6, and about 6-8
months ago we built him an old fashioned tool tote together. He loved
the whole experience.

I bought him a 7 oz hammer (with parental permission), a 16' tape, a
big bright orange speed square, some goggles, and a stainless steel mug
for his ice water like I drink my coffee from every morning. To top it
off I got him a screw driver with a big orange handle and a big pink
carpenter's pencil from Owens Corning so he would have stuff to put in
his bag. A couple of nails and some screws and he thought he had been
doing it for years.

We both had a blast. He got glue all over himself, lots of sawdust,
and when we weren't sawing or drilling he wore his goggles on his head
like a real pro. He is now sure that we need to build a house
together. Not a dog house or bird house, a house.

Gawd. To be six years old is a wonderful thing.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George" wrote: Might want to think twice about the beeswax, even if
highly purified. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think there is too much to worry about. The reference refers to a
fairly rare toxicity of honey to infants less than one year old. Beeswax
in the fibres of a wooden bowl would be injested in microscopic amounts at
most. Further, there is nothing to indicate that the bacteria would be
present in the wax, or survive in the wax if they ever were present.

Though we may not think much of the practice, one of the great advantages of
asexual reproduction is the ability of one spore to produce a legion of
bacteria in a short time. Bacterial spores are remarkably durable and
long-lived. Those exposed in the vacuum and radiation of space reproduce.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Robert,
This fits:

But now I am 6
I'm as clever as clever
I think I'll be 6
For ever and ever.

(A. A. Milne)

--

______
God bless and safe turning
wrote in message
ups.com...

Arch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Robert,
This fits:

But now I am 6
I'm as clever as clever
I think I'll be 6
For ever and ever.

(A. A. Milne)

Wow, Darrell. I couldn't have been said better if you knew him. Fits
him perfectly. I'll be forwarding that one onto my sister.

Thanks -

Robert