Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Mineral oil

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:06:54 GMT, "George" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Agree with Leo. It is just a HIGHLY purified petroleum product, much
in the way vasoline (although certainly not the same) is - specially
processed for a specific purpose.

When I made my nephew a baby rattle out of maple I used a warm mineral
oil bath and left it in for day, then dried it off and let it sit for a
couple of weeks before delivery.

Still looks the way it did (plus some really aggressive chew marks)
when I gave to him.

Of course, since it never cures, it picks up whatever dissolves in the
grease of your hands and grabs dust and crud like the "swiffer" rags.

for sure... I went through a period of using Mineral Oil (baby oil without the
added scent) for wet sanding...

I worked well and buffed ok, but NEVER stopped attracting dust and feeling
gummy... yuk!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis