larry moe 'n curly

Default Refrigeration mineral oil -- OK for what else?

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

Richard J Kinch

larry moe 'n curly writes:

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

It won't especially hurt them, but it is a little too viscous, and lacking
any plating or anti-corrosion additives that are good things to have in air
tool lubricant.
Lawrence Glickman

On 24 Jan 2005 21:59:19 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

I would toss it ( recycle ).
What does air tool oil cost? Pennies. Is it worth putting this
*stuff* into your tools to save a dollar? Only you can decide. I
wouldn't. I would throw it away and buy air-tool oil, which I have.
A little goes a long way. A quart will last years.

Lg

TURTLE

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

This is Turtle.

You can use it to oil up freezer blower motors in refrigerators and freezer to
keep the motor from freezing up inside bearing of the motor. Regular motor oil
can freeze up and slow or stop the blower motors on a freezer blower motor.

TURTLE

Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

Richard J Kinch wrote:
larry moe 'n curly writes:

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

It won't especially hurt them, but it is a little too viscous, and lacking
any plating or anti-corrosion additives that are good things to have in air
tool lubricant.

I agree - I wouldn't toss or recycle it, but I wouldn't put it in air
tools either. As one other poster said, a quart of air tool oil lasts
years for most folks and it's really cheap as well as designed for air
tools. What you have is designed for lubricating compressor parts. If
you want an alternative use for it, use it for compressor assemblies or
bearings or something similar.

I'd use it for soaking cruddy small parts that I want to take apart and
don't want to muscle too much like 50 year old brake cylinders or
something. You could also soak old wrenches & stuff in it to either
remove crud or, for example to loosen up frozen cresent wrenches. WD40
is also good for that, but rather than buy a gallon or quart of it, use
what you have as a soak instead of 'oil'.

My guess is that your first clue what to use it for is that it's a
mineral oil. Compare other mineral oils to it and come up with something
useful to do with it. I would also think it'd be a little thick for air
tools since it was originaly designed to be mixed with something a lot
lighter.

Cheers,
- Jeff G

larry moe 'n curly

wrote:

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral
oil for old car air conditioners that use Freon R-12.
is it OK to use in air tools?

I would toss it ( recycle ).
What does air tool oil cost? Pennies.

That's more than my air tool costs.

I would throw it away and buy air-tool oil, which I have.
A little goes a long way. A quart will last years.

Bruce Chang

wrote:

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral
oil for old car air conditioners that use Freon R-12.
is it OK to use in air tools?

I would toss it ( recycle ).
What does air tool oil cost? Pennies.

That's more than my air tool costs.

However, that's not more than replacement air tools cost unless you're in
the habit of getting things for free, in that case, sell an air tool and buy
yourself some oil.

Billy Bad Assr©

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

certainly won't hurt!

BBA

Stormin Mormon

Refrigeration mineral oil needs to be used in a sealed system wtih no air or
moisture. It absorbs moisture, and won't be good for your air tools. Likely
to cause corrosion.

The quart of oil, it's been awhile since I bought any. Five bucks or so.
Maybe you can find a shop that can use it, still some R-12 air conditioners
on the road. I know... I drive one every day.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

Stormin Mormon

Unless the oil absorbs a bunch of moisture. Then it might hurt.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Billy Bad Assr©" wrote in message
I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air
conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it,
but is it OK to use in air tools?

certainly won't hurt!

BBA

Matt

It's very tasty on salad.

Steve

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Refrigeration mineral oil needs to be used in a sealed system wtih no air or
moisture. It absorbs moisture, and won't be good for your air tools. Likely
to cause corrosion.

R-12 MINERAL oil does not absorb moisture. POE R-12 compatible oil (aka
'Ester oil') does. So does PAG oil for R-134a systems.

Still, air-tool oils have properties (anti corrosion, surface tension,
seal compatibility etc.) that R-12 mineral oil isn't optimized for. I
wouldn't use it in any air tool I cared about.