EL

Default Remove mineral deposits in water heater with chemicals?

I have an oil-fired water heater that collects mineral deposits from our hard water. It's driving me nuts - bits of the
stuff keep coming off and clogging aerators, shower heads, etc. Also makes a mess when the tub is used. However when I
drain the tank almost nothing comes out - seems the deposits are pretty well attached!

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Lime-Away or CLR to remove these deposits, or would this damage the tank? I drained
the tank, removed the drain valve, and looked inside - it seems the layer of deposits is pretty thin, 1/8 or maybe 1/4 of an
inch.

Eric Law

Edwin Pawlowski

"EL" wrote in message
I have an oil-fired water heater that collects mineral deposits from our
hard water. It's driving me nuts - bits of the stuff keep coming off and
clogging aerators, shower heads, etc. Also makes a mess when the tub is
used. However when I drain the tank almost nothing comes out - seems the
deposits are pretty well attached!

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Lime-Away or CLR to remove these
deposits, or would this damage the tank? I drained the tank, removed the
drain valve, and looked inside - it seems the layer of deposits is pretty
thin, 1/8 or maybe 1/4 of an inch.

Eric Law

Far better and safer to remove or eliminate the deposits before the tank.
Look into a softener and if you have solids, an in line filter. Chemicals
may remove the deposits, but you may also have residue for a while after. Do
you want to wash your hair with Lime Away? If the deposits are truly well
attached, the are not the ones you want to catch.

Slumlord

There is a product out there that you hook up to the piping. It
provides a small electric current that breaks the ionic bonds of the
chemical scaling.

For the life of me, I can't remember what it is called... Maybe someone
else here knows.

Art wrote:
I would also be concerned about blowing up the heater when lime away hits
the deposits and there is pressure built up from the chemical reaction.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

om...