Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mineral oil

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Woodborg" wrote: (clip) Can you tell me what constitutes mineral oil, i
assume its not car oil.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Car oil is not food safe, of course. It is "mineral" oil, since it comes
out of the ground, but with lots of additives. What you want is also from
the oilfields, but highly purified--available in drug stores, commonly used
as a laxative.

Agree with Leo. It is just a HIGHLY purified petroleum product, much
in the way vasoline (although certainly not the same) is - specially
processed for a specific purpose.

When I made my nephew a baby rattle out of maple I used a warm mineral
oil bath and left it in for day, then dried it off and let it sit for a
couple of weeks before delivery.

Still looks the way it did (plus some really aggressive chew marks)
when I gave to him.

Robert