Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Moiarty

Default Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits...

I realize it is commonly assumed that paint thinner and mineral spirits
are exactly the same thing; probably due to the fact of their
interchangeability as paint diluants. (But then turpentine is also so
interchangeable with paint thinner, yet is obviously not exactly the same
thing).
I just picked up some mineral spirits to compare with some paint thinner
of the same brand which I have been using. {Was crossing my fingers for an
improvement in a problem I've been having with tiny air bubbles forming upon
application of Varathane paint, after using mineral spirits to prime my
paint brush with instead of paint thinner. T'was not to be, however. Next
time I'll try turpentine and see if that won't deliver any advantage
either.} Aside from the mineral spirits having a smell only-so-slightly
different in character from the paint thinner, I also noticed that the
mineral spirits worked surprisingly better than the paint thinner for the
paint clean-up (i.e. oil-based Varathane). Mineral spirits seems to be a
stronger solvent than paint thinner (or at least as far as comparing the two
respective products of this particular brand is concerned).

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Ken Moiarty wrote:
[...]

Paint thinner is a description of the use, not the material. As you
have noted many different things can be a paint thinner, even water, which
would not of worked at all in your use.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16009013

read the MSDS and you'll opt for latex paint...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Useful link.
Thanks.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Years ago I bought paint and thinner from an employee of a paint
maker. Have never used anything as effective as the thinner they
provided. Ask at a paint store for suggestions.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:42:09 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16009013

read the MSDS and you'll opt for latex paint...

If you do look at the MSDS, be sure to go to the look at the bottom for the
main ingredient Stoddard solvent. And then on that page go to the link for
the list of products that use the solvent. There is probably not a house in
this country (the one that requires MSDS notices) that does not have at
least one of those products and likely several of them.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Paint thinner is a description of the use, not the material. As you
have noted many different things can be a paint thinner, even water, which
would not of worked at all in your use.

One of the big problems with many retail brands of paint "thinners" and
solvents is that they contain quite a bit of dissolved water. When used
with moisture-cure polyurethane paints (almost every one-part PU is this
type), the water in the solvent can cause bubbles to form or premature
gelling in paint guns. Professionals who use PU paints also use
de-watered thinners to avoid these problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Moiarty

To all who responded to my original post: Until today, when I discovered
and corrected a wrong default setting in my news reader, I did not see any
of your responses. My apologies...

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
wannabe

Ken Moiarty wrote:
I realize it is commonly assumed that paint thinner and mineral spirits
are exactly the same thing; probably due to the fact of their
...far as comparing the two
respective products of this particular brand is concerned).

Ken

to get rid of the air bubbles.

warm the can up first, warm the floor up if you can

I wouldn't thin it, it's thin enough. You could end up
with thin spots that need 2nd coat, then you'd have to
feather the patches in...

You can probably go slower and get less bubbles
as I remember they will pop on thier own before
sundown.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Moiarty

Informative link. But nothing that should come as a shock or surprise to
anyone. I've known since I was a kid, in my grade 7 industrial ed. class,
that hydrocarbon solvents of all kinds are neurotoxic. I recall how back
then a couple of the rebellious "cool" kids would sniff paint thinner, even
lacquer thinner, during class to get high. Fortunately for them, their
interest in this activity soon tapered off. But 35 years later, both are
alive and well, mentally and otherwise.
Read the potential health hazards of any substance (medication side
effects are a prime example) and you'll come away with the impression that
the stuff shouldn't be permitted to even exist. Occasional use of Tylenol,
for example, can cause permanent liver damage. This side effect is rare.
But it gets full mention in professional pharmacy and safety-data reference
texts nonetheless.
Ironically, one substance 'nobody' usually thinks of as seriously toxic
is the solvent, ethyl alcohol. This ubiquitous "beverage" alcohol is
neurotoxic, hepatotoxic, nephrotoxic, etc...etc... Exposure to human or
animal biological systems should be strictly controlled and limited. If the
high standard applied to other hazardous substances was extended to alcohol,
it would be strongly advised to avoid exposure (i.e. ingestion) of this
hazardous substance.
Hey guys! Let's say we meet at the bar and have a quick snort of
mineral spirits? Well not quite. Just kidding. ;-) Couldn't resist the
comparison though.

Ken