Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default aaarrrghh - speaking of stupid mistakes

I have been slowly making a prototype giant spur drive to send to a fellow
turner for testing - it's an excuse to play with my mill and learn how to
use it- well, there were plenty of learning experiences, but here's one I
did't expect - when I got done, I discovered I'd made a giant spur drive for
reverse turning only - in other words, the slope of the kife blades was
backwards - grrrr - I guess there really are times when a drawing would
help. But, at least I now have an extra box full of metal shavings to mix
with the wood shavings......

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bill

So You do screw up too, Ha.

Maybe you can sent it to Wally D, He uses a reverse turning lathe
apparently, as he wants to turn left handed, and had a lathe build with
left hand thread I'm told.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bill wrote:
I have been slowly making a prototype giant spur drive to send to a fellow
turner for testing - it's an excuse to play with my mill and learn how to
use it- well, there were plenty of learning experiences, but here's one I
did't expect - when I got done, I discovered I'd made a giant spur drive for
reverse turning only - in other words, the slope of the kife blades was
backwards - grrrr - I guess there really are times when a drawing would
help. But, at least I now have an extra box full of metal shavings to mix
with the wood shavings......

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email
or unscramble the following by removing spaces and correcting the obvious
spelling errors

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 15 Aug 2006 01:06:51 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi Bill

So You do screw up too, Ha.

Maybe you can sent it to Wally D, He uses a reverse turning lathe
apparently, as he wants to turn left handed, and had a lathe build with
left hand thread I'm told.

Yeah, but I'll bet Bill's "left hand" spur center has a right hand
thread...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:29:35 -0700, "Bill" wrote:

Iwhen I got done, I discovered I'd made a giant spur drive for
reverse turning only - in other words, the slope of the kife blades was

I knew a woodworker who got a commission to build a seating bench for
a church foyer....he studied the plans, decided he understood the
dimensions, and proceeded to build the whole thing.
When he was done, he did a double check of all the specs....and yep,
he had done it mirror image....right-handed instead of left.
I think he kept it after he re-did it for the customer. It ain't
exactly stupid, but it does pay to triple-check some things....
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill, I've made that same mistake and too frugal to throw it away. Try
mounting a big piece of scrap on your mistake then carefuly and safely
make a big delberate catch. You may have invented a better safety drive
for holding large blanks than a dead ring or Steb center.

Some turners for comfort and to see the wall better like to reverse the
spindle and turn open interiors from across the bed on the opposite
side. Locking a RH threaded holding device to the spindle, of course.

What mill do you have? I may have some extra cutters and tooling for
it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:29:35 -0700, "Bill" wrote:

I have been slowly making a prototype giant spur drive to send to a fellow
turner for testing - it's an excuse to play with my mill and learn how to
use it- well, there were plenty of learning experiences, but here's one I
did't expect - when I got done, I discovered I'd made a giant spur drive for
reverse turning only - in other words, the slope of the kife blades was
backwards - grrrr - I guess there really are times when a drawing would
help. But, at least I now have an extra box full of metal shavings to mix
with the wood shavings......

hmm.... not a lot of demand for outboard spur drives, Bill... *g*

I don't know if this is true, but supposedly when someone asked Edison how it
felt to fail over 1,000 times before getting a bulb to light, he said something
like "I never failed, I just found 1,000 ways that didn't work"...

Maybe the metal shavings would sell on Ebay as magic show accessories for
magnets??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:17:06 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

Nah. Metal shavings will sell to any scrap dealer by the ton. If you
start using that mill a lot, it'd pay to make a plywood box about the
size of a pallet, and save them up- they add up quickly. A lot of
guys make a good deal of $$$ just collecting that kind of scrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
I have been slowly making a prototype giant spur drive to send to a fellow
turner for testing - it's an excuse to play with my mill and learn how to
use it- well, there were plenty of learning experiences, but here's one I
did't expect - when I got done, I discovered I'd made a giant spur drive
for reverse turning only - in other words, the slope of the kife blades was
backwards - grrrr - I guess there really are times when a drawing would
help. But, at least I now have an extra box full of metal shavings to mix
with the wood shavings......

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email
or unscramble the following by removing spaces and correcting the obvious
spelling errors

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

Lot of folks will do anything for reverse rotation on a lathe.....to get
smoother sanding of course! Don't throw it out just yet. I can't use it but
maybe someone can. Especially if you make an identical forward turning mate
for it. Sell them as a set. Just a thought.
Good luck Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

right you are, LRod - so it will be useless no matter what you do - well, I
did run it through the mill again and removed the top of the teeth and got
it so it ought to work - but speaking of feeling stupid.......

"LRod" wrote in message
On 15 Aug 2006 01:06:51 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi Bill

So You do screw up too, Ha.

Maybe you can sent it to Wally D, He uses a reverse turning lathe
apparently, as he wants to turn left handed, and had a lathe build with
left hand thread I'm told.

Yeah, but I'll bet Bill's "left hand" spur center has a right hand
thread...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

my mill is an Abene from the early 70s, (1970s, not 1870s) - it's Swiss
made, combination horizontal/vertical, with 6 hp spindle motor (18 speeds)
and a 2 hp table motor (3 axis) - it uses a NMTB-40 taper in the spindle -
it's a about 4X heavier than my Stubby lathe -

"Arch" wrote in message
Bill, I've made that same mistake and too frugal to throw it away. Try
mounting a big piece of scrap on your mistake then carefuly and safely
make a big delberate catch. You may have invented a better safety drive
for holding large blanks than a dead ring or Steb center.

Some turners for comfort and to see the wall better like to reverse the
spindle and turn open interiors from across the bed on the opposite
side. Locking a RH threaded holding device to the spindle, of course.

What mill do you have? I may have some extra cutters and tooling for
it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

aaah, let me guess, LH spur with RH thread, and then RH spur with LH
thread - a useless pair. Put them on a pedestal and label them with the
names of two prominent political parties, or your in-laws, or ....
to paraphrase Gloria Steinem, "a turner needs a LH spur drive like a fish
needs a bicycle".....

At least I learned several things about how to destroy an end mill - it's
amazing how much heat a dull tool can make with 6 HP turning it......I'm
getting smarter by the hour, I guess.

bill

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bill, I see that "learning how to use it" meant you were learning
how to use this particular machine, not learning how to mill. I thought
you probably had a small homeshop mill. My fixtures are for a small
vertical Clausing and a small horizontal Atlas. Could you put a double
bevel on the spurs or would that just change it into a drill bit? I hate
to give up.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

yes, your suggestion is what I did - I cut a flat on the incorrectly beveled
side and then put a bevel on the flat side - it looks somewhat (well, it
looks totally) pathetic, but it may actually work. I'm not making another
one in that style, that's for sure - it just took waaaaaay to long to cut
out all that metal - but that and some discussion on another group has given
me another (maybe not better, we shall see) idea for a spur drive that can
screw on - we shall see if that is any better.....
"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Bill, I see that "learning how to use it" meant you were learning
how to use this particular machine, not learning how to mill. I thought
you probably had a small homeshop mill. My fixtures are for a small
vertical Clausing and a small horizontal Atlas. Could you put a double
bevel on the spurs or would that just change it into a drill bit? I hate
to give up.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Make a table using mortise and tenon joinery, or better yet
a chair. Even though I use the "Triangle Marking Method" for
identifying which part goes where and how it's to be oriented,
I've made more than one "left front" leg.

Some can figure everything out in their head and then make
it for real. Then there's folks like me - and you. . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b wrote:
Make a table using mortise and tenon joinery, or better yet
a chair. Even though I use the "Triangle Marking Method" for
identifying which part goes where and how it's to be oriented,
I've made more than one "left front" leg.

Some can figure everything out in their head and then make
it for real. Then there's folks like me - and you. . .

charlie b

=====Think of it as being a fortuitous happening. Embrace the
occurrence and make a second table or chair!*G*

--
Leif