Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Bill is offline

Default aaarrrghh - speaking of stupid mistakes

aaah, let me guess, LH spur with RH thread, and then RH spur with LH
thread - a useless pair. Put them on a pedestal and label them with the
names of two prominent political parties, or your in-laws, or ....
to paraphrase Gloria Steinem, "a turner needs a LH spur drive like a fish
needs a bicycle".....

At least I learned several things about how to destroy an end mill - it's
amazing how much heat a dull tool can make with 6 HP turning it......I'm
getting smarter by the hour, I guess.

bill

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
I have been slowly making a prototype giant spur drive to send to a fellow
turner for testing - it's an excuse to play with my mill and learn how to
use it- well, there were plenty of learning experiences, but here's one I
did't expect - when I got done, I discovered I'd made a giant spur drive
for reverse turning only - in other words, the slope of the kife blades
was backwards - grrrr - I guess there really are times when a drawing
would help. But, at least I now have an extra box full of metal shavings
to mix with the wood shavings......

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

Lot of folks will do anything for reverse rotation on a lathe.....to get
smoother sanding of course! Don't throw it out just yet. I can't use it
but maybe someone can. Especially if you make an identical forward turning
mate for it. Sell them as a set. Just a thought.
Good luck Lyndell