Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brent

Default Removing friction polish from eyeglasses......

I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal

In article . com,
"Brent" wrote:

I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such.

Others would need to have the same type of plastic lens that you have.
There are several different kinds.

Get glass glasses next time? You must have plastic if you are worried
about scraping and solvents, neither of which affect glass lenses unless
the scraping is done in a gonzo fashion, or the "solvent" is
hydrofluoric acid.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Pugh

Brent wrote:
I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

Thanks!

You can take your glasses to your optician. Bet you a nickle that he
will use acetone to clean them.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Brent wrote:
I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

Thanks!

I got superglue on mine (plastic) and called the place I got them. She
said use acetone, which I did and got it off. I would never have used
that without asking the person who knew. I would suggest alcohol, which
should not harm any plastic. But then I am not an expert.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

You can observe a lot by just watching
-Yogi Berra

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop

"Brent" wrote in message
ups.com...
I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

It would be helpful to know from what material your lenses are made, but
there are a couple of general rules that you can follow:

1. Most plastics-- uncoated CR39 hard resin (the basic "plastic" spectacle
lens material), polycarbonate, and the bulk of the high-index plastics, such
as Seiko, are impervious to acetone (used sparingly) and isopropanol (propyl
alcohol). But this is only if they are uncoated. IF they have AR
(anti-reflective; you can detect this by a greenish-blue reflection from the
back surface of the lens), anti-scratch, or other types of coatings, the
coatings can be damaged by acetone, and some by alcohol. Be careful using
acetone around plastic frames--most will dissolve/melt with acetone
exposure. Remove the lenses from the frame if you have doubts.

2) Plastic lenses can be removed from the frame and soaked overnight in
water with a bit of detergent added. This will occasionally soften some
hardened water-soluble compounds, such as latex paint, enough to get them to
release. Is friction polish water-soluble? My guess is that it is not.

If the above procedures fail, you could try taking them to an optical shop
that has an ultrasonic cleaner. Occasionally we've gotten foreign material
to release from lenses by this method.

HTH,

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alun

Hi,

I've done the same thing with a visor, and found that if you soaked it
in warm water with a little soap for a while, it softened it up
sufficiently to be able to scrape it off with your fingernail.

--
Alun Saunders
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Brent" wrote in message
ups.com...
I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

Thanks!

I'd start by figuring out what I had on them. Lacquer-based polish or
shellac-based will make a difference. That way when you find your optician
s/he'll be able to interpret your needs better. Acetone should do for
lacquer if the coatings will tolerate it, and for shellac, an alkali soak
would be enough. Length of soak compensating for strength of solution. LDD
ought to work....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:51:41 -0400, Jim Pugh wrote:

Brent wrote:
[...]

Hey Jim... how ya been??

Note: those who need to try acetone and plan to use the wife's nail polish
remover should make sure that it's not "acetone free" as that's very popular
these days..DAMHIKT

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On 23 May 2006 15:24:06 -0700, "Brent" wrote:

I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

Ahhh. At least I'm not alone- I have polycarbinate lenses that get a
good shellac-ing every now and then, regular denatured alcohol has
never hurt them, but you might want to test a small spot near the
frames with a Q-tip first. It'd be annoying to have a spot, but at
least they'd still be usable.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

If the "friction polish" is a shellac product, alcohol ought to clean it off
your lenses without harming them. It works on mine.

Barry

"Brent" wrote in message
ups.com...
I did the silly procedure of turning on my lathe while there was still
a good amount of wet friction polish on my piece. Of course, I was
standing right in front of the piece, and the force made some of the
polish fly off and some droplets hit my glasses. I expounded my
stupidness my not wiping off the polish from my glasses right away, and
now it's "permanetly" stuck. Being very persistant, a light fingernail
scratching proved futile. Using a sharp object such as a razor blade is
out of the question, as this would scratch the surface. I suppose
there is some kind of solvent that I can use to remove the polish
without damaging the rest, but I'm not brave enough to test it out
unless others have used such. Now the question remains - what should I
do/use to remove it?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brent

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who did such a foolish thing.
Thanks to all who commented.