Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about combining art/craft.

In addition to turning wood another manual hobby that I enjoy is bending
and welding small objects of 'art' using rebar. Mostly representations
of religious, electronic, chemical, math etc. symbols that workers in
various disciplines seem to like. I mount these objects on turned wooden
bases, posts or wall plates. Both hobbies and their works are equals to
me and herein lies my dilemma. For me, a good woodturning ought to be
more than a canvas or frame or armature. As always Just MHO & YMMV, but
I'm asking for your opinions & help. I'm not trolling for your derision.

Mountings are necessary, but I don't like it that people view mine as
mere supports. In my view, that devalues my wood turnings, even if the
piece is about rebar symbols. It's not even clear to me, so It's
probably hard for you to understand my distinction. I'm not talking
about making a legitimate extra or needed buck off the hobby or
business, but otherwise I wonder if some (not all) of the project kits
sold for us to turn a handle or a holder as a strained addition to some
gizmo doesn't reduce our turnings to unimportant adjuncts. To each his
own of course, but I'd rather use ebony for a candlestick that stands on
its own merit than turn it to hold a back scratcher. I feel the same way
about turning pink ivory for a pizza cutter and not just because the
wood is costly.

Please suggest some ideas for making my turned wood mountings more than
mere backgrounds to my rebar 'art' or if you think it matters. I'm not
suggesting that either are masterpieces.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brent

I can see the conundrum, as most people would concentrate on the metal
or "other" object rather than the wood 'base'.

My father turned a few keliedoscopes from kits for all the
grandchildren last Christmas. The children weren't concerned with the
wood, but rather the cool color-shifting patterns that could be seen
when looking through the peephole, which seems natural considering
their age. I was more interested in the wood he used, which he did a
superb job at. Although, the whole thing was/is quite nice, and me and
my daughter still use it on occassion.

I suppose some of it is based on the age/maturity of the person using
the object. Also, some would seem like it's based on what
functionality the piece has. Like a pizza cutter, for example, is a
'practical' tool, and people will soon forget the nice wood handle on
it, no matter what kind of wood was used or how well crafted it was.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I figure that's just
natural human reaction. It would be disappointing to see this kind of
thing happening, especially if you spent more time/money/resources on
the wood part. I haven't seen/felt much of it, because most of my
turnings are based solely out of wood. Other parts used would include
salt/pepper shakers, cork bottle tops, hinges for boxes, etc... where
there is very little amount of 'other' parts being used.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) For me, a good woodturning ought to be (clip) Please
suggest some ideas for making my turned wood mountings more than mere
backgrounds to my rebar 'art' (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Each part is what you make it, Arch. If you are thinking of the wood as
just a stand while you are making it, it will come out just a stand. If you
invest as much esthetic guidance into the wood parts, they will have their
own beauty. This thinking may be part of the problem. The wood and metal
should be seen and felt as a whole. If you make the metal object first, and
then look for a way to turn the "holder," you will inevitably relegate the
turning to second rate status.

Some antique tools, made of both wood and metal, are gorgeous, because of
the way the materials are blended, and because of the obvious respect the
maker had for both.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
Please suggest some ideas for making my turned wood mountings more than
mere backgrounds to my rebar 'art' or if you think it matters. I'm not
suggesting that either are masterpieces.

Hi Arch

that sounds like some intriguing art you are making. When do we get to
see some pics?

Designing bases or backgrounds is actually quite a task. I think you
have to start by defining its purpose and desired characteristics.
Obviously, it is structural in that it has to support or hold the work.
Bases need to stand up to scrutiny, but not stand out, so they have to
complement and possibly contrast the main element of the work, so the
color, scale, texture all need to be carefully considered. Is wood the
best material for the job? Now that we know you are a multi-media
artist, we will forgive you if you use no wood what-so-ever in your work

You could of course add woodturned elements to the rebar sculptures.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Could they be mounted inside a bowl rather than a plate, set
back below the rim? Unless you look down in the bowl it's
just a bowl. Adds a surprise factor - or an exclusivity
factor (I own it and know what's inside. You probably will
never see anything but a wooden bowl. If the metal is dark
maybe contrasting maple - with some chatoyancy inside and
out - the latter being nature's version of a hologram as a
visually semi-dynamic background. Shadows could add another
layer to the depth of the piece.

charlie b