Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Default Musing about combining art/craft.

Arch wrote:
Please suggest some ideas for making my turned wood mountings more than
mere backgrounds to my rebar 'art' or if you think it matters. I'm not
suggesting that either are masterpieces.

Hi Arch

that sounds like some intriguing art you are making. When do we get to
see some pics?

Designing bases or backgrounds is actually quite a task. I think you
have to start by defining its purpose and desired characteristics.
Obviously, it is structural in that it has to support or hold the work.
Bases need to stand up to scrutiny, but not stand out, so they have to
complement and possibly contrast the main element of the work, so the
color, scale, texture all need to be carefully considered. Is wood the
best material for the job? Now that we know you are a multi-media
artist, we will forgive you if you use no wood what-so-ever in your work

You could of course add woodturned elements to the rebar sculptures.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers